Lets Talk About Water Pumps

larryconnors

It's time to replace the waterpump on my 47 P15. I have been having a tough time finding water pump grease so I would like to get a permenantly lubricated pump. I have the one with the external bypass. Can it be done?  

What tells you it's time to change the pump. If you are not running the fan belt too tight, a water pump has a VERY long life. I have a 2nd pump under the seat.  The only thing that 'needs' lubrication is the shaft bushing.  

Larry, I wouldn't bother with an original greasable pump or trying to rebuild one either, the originals have a 2 eared impeller that I suppose was good back in the 1930's when 1st designed but as far as I know the new pumps that are on the market now use a proper sealed bearing with a circular impeller that has about 6-8 vanes cast into it......a MUCH better design in my opinion........and they work with either an internal or external bypass, you just replace/reuse your relevant bypass bits, the pump just pumps away oblivious to where the waters going.........andyd

Edited by Andydodge

Larry, the 2nd post under the "High Volume Water Pump" thread by Young Ed shows the difference between the old and new style impellers.......I'd go for the new style every time if I have the choice..........andyd

mini gun 3 tube package at Wally

EDIT: got my replacement pump through Advance Auto (PartsAmerica.com at the time) It came with the grease fitting. They had both styles. Internal/external.

post-80-0-20141000-1370521913_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Typically the new ones have the two bolt holes for the external bypass and then rather than having a plain hole for the external bypass its a threaded round hole for the heater hose connection when you have internal bypass. In other words they have made them universal.

That's how mine is, universal. And I found my original heater hose cast aluminum fitting that bolts on to the top of the pump. Much nicer than a pipe elbow and a couple of pipe plugs. So, guess i have a spare set up, thought I'd lost it so got a heater shut off valve for a big rig, solid brass, and a reducer fitting for the pump top.

It's almost impossible to wear out a grease fitting equipped water pump, I only bought a replacement because one got dropped (cracked) and the other one has a bent shaft from loading the engine into my truck (come along up a set of boards). Kinda sucks, the one on the 218 was the original 1949 issue, the one on the 230 I have no idea.

Napa quoted me $88.00 plus $15 shipping and $7 sales tax for a total of $110. I still need to check out the pump. There has been a screeching under my hood and I suspect a dry bearing. I went 1/2 mile from a cold start a few days ago and had a major boil over. I drove 220 miles in 95 degree weather last weekend so it was cooling itself then. I just bought an infrared temperature sensor so I'll be able to get a better Idea of what's going on. I also plan to loosen the fan belt and turn the pump by hand to evaluate the bearing.