Front Brake - Cylinder Push Pin Length Question

TJM70's_48

I have read varying opinions on using longer wheel cylinder shoe pins and wanted to find out what the proper front length is.

After installing my new front wheel cylinders, I re-used the old = short pins that were in the existing cylinders. I thought I had read to do this.

The cylinders came with longer pins - which I still have - and I wanted to find out if I should be using those.

The new pins are 1.75" long.

Is there a guideline for this?

I am waiting on the Ammco brake tool to arrive on loan so I don't think I can judge my braking performance yet based on my home-made centering tool alone. However, I still have a soft pedal until I pump two times.  I'm wondering if the cylinder pistons are traveling too far out toward the end of the cylinder?

you should use the pins that are matched to the depth of the internal wheel cylinder pistons..I think you can do a search here a the three different pistons and respective pins have been shown in photograph before..I cannot comment on actual length as they are piston related..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Is this an issue of brand - I bought Raybestos cylinders - or is pin length related to cylinder location / type?

I have a double handicap - I don't know if work done by previous owners was right or not and I have never worked on old equipment / non-modern brakes before.

Your soft pedal can be caused by shoe adjustment or new cylinders not completely bled of air or a combination of both.  i'd wait for the brake tool to show up now and if still having problems after that, rebleed.

This is my thought process too. I think I got a good bleed out of it but there are lots of places for air to hide.

Before I'm done, I'll switch the pins if I need to...figured now was a good time to ask.

I have so much to learn.....