Front Bearing Seal - Size & Part Number Issue

TJM70's_48
Go to solution Solved by TJM70's_48,

Before starting my brake project I ordered two Napa part #17145 Oil Seals per some info found here...

they do not fit. Too large diameter at 2.74" and 1/4" higher than what I pulled out...

The one I took out is about 2 1/2" diameter and 1/4" high. Is this right? Is this a non-standard front wheel setup? Based on this info, can anyone help me determine what size wheel seal I need to order? 

Rock Auto part listed is 1/2" high...I don't think it will fit from height standpoint. The diameter also looks to be too wide...

The couple of parts listings I have found don't seem to have front bearing seal listed...

Edited by TJM70's_48

You most likely got that number from a picture I posted. I am sorry to hear they did not work. The height should not be critical as you can drive the seal in further.

I did a quick search and found the following

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/links/goto/2-atlas-obsolete-chrysler-parts/

Also you should check with McMaster Carr. I believe if you give them the measurements they can match up a seal.

Once again I am sorry the numbers I gave you did not work. I will remove those numbers from my database.

Don, 

No need to apologize at all - you are a very important source of information! Not even sure if I got the p/n from you in any event.

I was mostly concerned with finding the correct dimensions and wondering about the height difference...thanks for that info, too.

As I have noted often, many of the things I am doing while learning about my car are new to me and I have two goals: 1) learn how to do work on the old car and 2) not screw it up (or endanger myself). So, I end up reading a lot and usually have more questions when I'm done.

hanks for the info - I'll check to find the right one.

If you clean up the old one can you find any numbers stamped on it? They may be able to use it for a cross reference to get you what you need.

Otherwise I believe this web site for SKF seals has an area where you can search by size. http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/

Edited by Merle Coggins

You most likely got that number from a picture I posted. I am sorry to hear they did not work. The height should not be critical as you can drive the seal in further.

I did a quick search and found the following

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/links/goto/2-atlas-obsolete-chrysler-parts/

Also you should check with McMaster Carr. I believe if you give them the measurements they can match up a seal.

Once again I am sorry the numbers I gave you did not work. I will remove those numbers from my database.

Not just you. My parts book shows a Chrysler number 668479 for the P15 front wheel hub seal and Napa Online crosses that Chrysler number to NAPA NOS 17145 too.

Can one of you tell me the shaft size? I can't find any numbers stamped on my old one...somewhat chewed up due to pliers...it was difficult to get out. I probably pulled right where the numbers were.

I think it measures at O.D. of 2.5" but I'm not 100% of my inside measurement...I think it's 1.75" but I can't get an exact measurement.

Pliers are not the right tool for seal removal. Use a drift punch of the apporiate size and drive it out through the hole in the hub using a small hammer criss crossing between blows. Use the same procedure for removing the inner bearing race if you are going to replace it. Be gentle and dont whail away.

• Solution

OK...with the bearing number and the Timken web site I was able to cross reference and compare sizes / seals until I'm fairly sure I got the right one. In any case, I'll know in three days when they arrive.

Inside bearing is Timken 15123

Timken seal is 471831 - specs: Outside diameter is 2.447", Seal shaft is 1.75" and seal width is .374"

Various other part numbers for the seal that cross reference with Timken 471831 are: PR1378 (Repco), 904485 (Badger), 843377M1 (Massey Ferguson) and National is 471831 also. SKF part number is 17320

Hope this is helpful to someone else later down the road and thanks for the replies.

Edited by TJM70's_48

Don't feel too bad about tearing up the seal where the numbers are.  One of Murphy's Laws, it happens more often than not for some reason.  Same thing with brgs. I'd suggest purchasing a cheap digital caliper and doing a physical measurement on it.  The sizing charts I'm familiar with group  seals by shaft size. 

The first removal method advice I received was remove the outer bearing, replace washer and nut and yank the drum until the seal and bearing come out of the hub. I tried this but it really felt barbaric. I couldn't help but believe I would be causing damage by doing it that way.

Thus, the pliers and controlled pulling came into play.

I'll use the drift punch (now that I know what one is and that I have one in my tools) for the other side. I like to do things right - when I know what "right" is!

I have been wishing for a caliper today several times.