Joining A Club

larryconnors

While I don't have much experience with the POC, I've been a member of the WPC Club for several years. The WPC Club encompasses the whole spectrum of Chrysler Corp. vehicles, past to present, including those that have been aquired over the years, i.e. AMC and Jeep. (will we see Fiat's in the club now?) And if you attend a national meet (Lake Elmo, MN this year) the show judging is done by the participants as a people's choice type of affair.

The POC is for Plymouths only and their judging process, at their shows, has more scrutiny regarding what is "correct" or "not correct" for your model.

Either way you'll likely meet a bunch of great people with a love of vintage Mopars.

Merle

I'm currently a member of the POC. Many decades and far, far away from where I live now, I was a member of the WPC club.

I'd suggest that you look at the regions/chapters of those clubs that are near you. If none, then that is a negative. If yes, then visit them at a monthly meeting or other event and see if you and they seem compatible. Then join the national club whose region/chapter best suits you.

Reason for that is the local region can be a great help if you need specific tools, parts or experience to help you move forward on your car. And it gives you a local group setting up events that you could enjoy taking your vehicle to.

Have been to POC events and WPC events.  WPC shows are participant judged, POC are judged by a panel of participants under the direction of Judging officials according to a strict as it left the factory points grid.  The WPC includes new cars and trucks as well as vintage models, so if you like looking at PT Cruisers and Prowlers, Crossfires, Chargers and new Challengers yer welcomed to.  The POC has a better newsletter but it is available on line.  The WPC seems to be encouraging younger members by not strictly adhearing to a as manufactured judging regime.  The POC in my opinion is actively averse to anyone who wants to include a modified vehicle at their events.  There are of course wonderful people who are members of one or the other or both.  I would encourage you to attend a meeting or an event of both, and get a feel for which group you feel more comforatbly inclined toward.

• Like 1

Larry,

Of course, you could always follow Graucho Marx' advice and declare that any club that would accept you as a member would not be a fit club to join.

That's always been my approach.

-Randy

Does that extend to web forums too? :)

• Like 1

Of course, you could always follow Graucho Marx' advice and declare that any club that would accept you as a member would not be a fit club to join.

Groucho also said that your DeSoto dealer stands behind every car he sells...to help you push

I'm considering joining either the WPC club or the plymouth owners club but not both. I own a Plymouth P15. What are the pros and cons of each club?

the good part about being in either of these clubs is it connects you with people who don't have a computer..that may have parts or knowledge that can be helpful. WPC does let the newer stuff in which can be a good thing..but one of the reasons i don't go to shows is newer stuff keeps showing up..and for me personally i'd rather keep my $, stay home ,moe my lawn.. because why pay money to see something you can see at a car dealer? ..but that's just me:) and anything that was built after ww2 is new to me:)

Mopar Benny,

Great explanation! These Car Shows today (at least in Charlotte, NC) Motor Speedway have about 50 each  of the same three years of the same three colors Corvettes, Mustangs, and Chevy's from the fifties and sixties. Now don't get me wrong they are nice cars, however, when you see 150 to 200 cars of the same three years and the same three colors and all their owners standing there ogling over each others cars - its just plain weird. The oldies and goodies aren't there anymore. The REO's the Essex's the Pierce Arrows, The Airstreams and the Airflows. Gone.

Unless its a WPC National Show or Carlisle Show - very very few Old Mopars. Every now and then there's a good one (smaller show) like at Salisbury NC (Mopar Show) in September etc. Most big Shows are half way across the USA and would cost an arm and a leg to go to with or without your car. In fact just getting together with my local Carolina Chrysler Club for a picnic at the lake is about all I'm interested in. Sometimes a Club Member will host a cookout in their back yard and we'll all ride over with a covered dish and eat good. It seems the smaller the show the better the show. The big Car Shows fill up with obnoxious drunks by mid afternoon, and they all act like they own your car and want to get in it or open doors to look inside etc. Charlotte Motor Speedway Shows are becoming a joke. I have to roll up my windows and lock my car just to go use a restroom. People seem to have lost their manners. Oh well I guess I'll stay home, mow, and drink a cold Barley Pop.

Tom

• Like 1

Ed I think the cut off is 25 years.  It used to be that unless its has changed recently. that would make it 88 and older.  maybe they opened it up when the Plymouth brand became an orphan.

Still 25 years to the best of my knowledge. Hard for me to think of a 1988 car as an antique. If it could have been equipped with AC and cruise control from the factory then it is a late model car to me.

AC and Cruise control.. older cars had all that..windows down and a brick on the accelerator...I also find it hard to believe that a many of the throw away cars I had in my youth and up till just recently are now in the antique/classic era...hard to admit sometimes we are getting older...

Ed I think the cut off is 25 years.  It used to be that unless its has changed recently. that would make it 88 and older.  maybe they opened it up when the Plymouth brand became an orphan.

I know there was talk of doing exactly that and I thought it was carried out.

AC and Cruise control.. older cars had all that..windows down and a brick on the accelerator...I also find it hard to believe that a many of the throw away cars I had in my youth and up till just recently are now in the antique/classic era...hard to admit sometimes we are getting older...

Brick?? Its called the throttle cable.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a member of both clubs. Now I am only a member of the Plymouth Owners Club. They have a great magazine called the Plymouth Bulletin. I don't know much about their car shows. It seems they are far and few from where I live. I do enjoy reading the Plymouth Bulletin. They come up with some interesting articles, many things I never knew about my car. They also list cars, parts, literature, and people that deal with parts producers and suppliers. This club also has a website, much like this one. I have to admit this site seems to be more popular.

Just my 2 cents,

Chuck