Corner Glass Install...........

I installed the glass in the new Steele rubber. Soaped the rubber lip up. Then pushed the glass and rubber up tight against the body firmly from the insde and held it with one hand while working the pliable soft rubberoutside  lip over the pinch weld, from the bottom up the sides and to the top. I used both my fingers and a plastic wedgy stick. They both went in  easily. I did not use sealer as I am not worried about leakage and don't drive my old cars/trucks in the rain!

The next owners can worry about that.

Bob

oops sorry, CORNER glass I was thinking wing window glass.....when the guy popped mine it he used the rope trick thing and it went right in.

The bigger inside part of the rubber should fit deep into the body recess inside the cab. This puhes the smaller rubber lip against the pinch weld seam.  I assume your glass is properly seated ino the rubber. The glass and rubber assembly just fits inside the recessed opening. If you say no way will it fit then there certainly is a problem. Is the rubber new. Who supplied it. Is it made right ect.

Some pics of a parts truck and my 4 tonner-rubber fit.

Bob

Bob,

I can't even get close to the pinch seam.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Did you try to fit it to the body with out the glass in it just to see if it fits a little bit loose in the opening?

Oh Oh. That might be the problem Keven.

I sympathize with you Kevin as I know those window are a PITA to get in. I watched a professional struggle getting mine to go in - and then he broke the left side one! They only go in from the inside and the fit is tight. Tom used Vaseline on my window rubbers and thumped them in with the bottom of his closed fist. Even he agreed that he hadn't seen anything as hard to fit in all of his years of window fitting. You should have a small gap all the way around the glass. The inner lip of the rubber is used to hold the trim in place. I hope that it works out well for you mate.

yes it is a rope in from inside sometimes I will use masking tape around the rubber and to both sides of the glass after I have insertrd the rope this helps hold the gasket and rope in place. it would be easy if you had someone to hold it from inside while you pull the rope from outside. use dish washing soap watered down. I have never cut the rubber. some times they fit real tight and sometimes they just go in. if the glas is starting to delaminate more care is needed.

Keven;

Good luck.....hopefully it will fit.

I have a related question. If I install these windows before the interior is in.....is the rubber pliable enough to pull in around the trim panels?

I am planning on using new Steele rubber for these.

Thanks, Jeff

I have a related question. If I install these windows before the interior is in.....is the rubber pliable enough to pull in around the trim panels?

I am planning on using new Steele rubber for these.

Thanks, Jeff

Yes. In fact you probably don't want the interior panels in the way when you put the glass in.

Keven,

Glad you got more sensible answers to the glass install. The interior panels will slip behind the interior part of the window gasket. I used a plastic tool I had to do it with marginal effort. I did get a glass pro to do the job, just felt they have more experience and a "feel' for it.  Try to get someone older than 20 though

In all seriousness here's to your success,

Hank  :)

I think the sizing/shape and fit of replacement rubber is always a problem in restorations as we a seeing here. Replacement rubber made by different companies can vary widely in size. One brand will go in ok the next won't at all.

Original good rubber is always nice to use and install.

Bob

yah, what Merle said.  I used a rope to install the interior panels around the windows and it worked pretty slick.  I had my glass in for over a year before the rear headliner.

Edited by ggdad1951