My 1952 D42

52dodge

I promise not to clutter up the site and keep all my inquiries in here lol.My D42 developed a new problem today on the way to work surprise surprise, seems like its one thing after another.Since i got this car it always pulled to the right when braking,it was kinda bad at first so i pulled the right front wheel and found the lower wheel cyl leaking.I took all the brakes apart on that side,replaced the leaking cyl, sanded the shoes and washed them and everything down gd with brake clean and put it back together. It was much much better but still pulled alittle,but it was livable.Today i pulled out to go to work and when i went to hit the brakes the car took a scary death pull to the left real hard into the oncoming traffic lane,thank god nobody was coming. It continued to pull extremely bad to the left the rest of the way to work and home,so bad it would easily lock the left front tire up like it was the only brake working.Im home now and pulled both front drums to inspect figuring id find a leaking left side wheel cylinder but found nothing leaking and everything looking ok.Any ideas? I thought maybe a brake hose but i thought the brake would be hanging up if the hose was collapsing internally.

looking at the brake hoses i think there actually dated,they say Sunsong DOT SAE J1401 09/07,

So maybe the brake hoses were alreay done by the previous owner,i wouldn't think they would be bad after only 6 years but who knows,at first glance nothing looked like it was leaking,but there is moisture maybe brake fluid on the lower wheel cyl,its not dripping or anything just moist

52, look inside the wheel cylinders for rust. it can cause the brakes to lock up and then release slightly. capt den

thanks captain den,i ordered new upper and lower wheel cyls and 2 new brake hoses along with new shoes.

• 1 month later...

quick question guys,on my exhaust manifold the heat diverter/flapper things spring is broken,the blade inside is not frozen and it flips back and fourth,which position do i want the blade when the car is warm looking at it from the passenger fender?All the way clockwise or counter clockwise?Not sure which way is open and wich way is closed.

"Gosh! I should have had Ole Daddy's!"  I sure like my discs! Drove em up to the mountains to 6,000' a 35 mile climb from 500'. No fade, no pull, no adjust coming down. Love em!

1strunatSequoiaRedwoods_zps5b66f43e.jpg

quick question guys,on my exhaust manifold the heat diverter/flapper things spring is broken,the blade inside is not frozen and it flips back and fourth,which position do i want the blade when the car is warm looking at it from the passenger fender?All the way clockwise or counter clockwise?Not sure which way is open and wich way is closed.

Shel_bizzy_48 gave you the hot and cold positions but, at least on my '33, the heat riser design is such that if the flap is free and there is enough exhaust flow it will move to the hot position even if cold. If the spring is missing or broken and you have the counterweight installed it should just sit in the hot position.