Rear Pinion Seal Leaking

mmarkovich1

1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe - I have replaced the rear pinion seal three times. I tighten the big nut down. I even use an impact wrench. Can't figure out why it still leaks. Can anyone give me some suggestions. I hate leaks.

What is the condition of the portion of the pinion flange that the seal runs on? If it has been worn then throwing new seals on there will just damage the new seal and it will leak immediately.

If the surface is worn, rough or grooved, a speedi-sleeve could be an easy fix when you install yet another new undamaged seal.

• Like 1

I tried a speedy sleeve. It was not long enough to cover the entire shaft. But I installed to cover a minor groove. 

I just re-installed the new pinion seal this spring (for the 4th time). Still leaking. My repair book says to replace old fluid with new, 3 1/4 pints of 90W gear lube. I may have overfilled. Is 3 1/4 pints correct? 

Don't know the volume. . . I just fill mine to the bottom of the fill plug.

Is your breather clean? On most old Plymouths it is a special bolt that holds the brake T fitting on the top of the rear axle. If it has been swapped with a regular bolt or has gotten clogged then the rear axle may be building up pressure which can lead to leaks.

I tried a speedy sleeve. It was not long enough to cover the entire shaft. But I installed to cover a minor groove. 

I just re-installed the new pinion seal this spring (for the 4th time). Still leaking. My repair book says to replace old fluid with new, 3 1/4 pints of 90W gear lube. I may have overfilled. Is 3 1/4 pints correct? 

I see you are from Pataskala. Can you post a picture of your car?

I will check the breather. It is mounted on the rear axle. Not sure if that is the cause of the leak. Because it leaks even when not driving,

I will post a couple of my car photos as soon as I figure it out.

I am from Pataskala, OH. I posted 2 photos of my car. We are originally from Pittsburgh. Had the car for about 13 years. I love driving the 3 speed. Hat the single bowl master cylinder and drum brakes.

I am from Pataskala, OH. I posted 2 photos of my car. We are originally from Pittsburgh. Had the car for about 13 years. I love driving the 3 speed. Hat the single bowl master cylinder and drum brakes.

As I write this my wife is spending time with her sister-in-law on Mink Road in Pataskala

• 1 year later...