Car Show Snub

pflaming

I preregistered for a local car show here in Reedley, CA.  I showed up an hour early, when I drove up the head cheese came out of the woodwork with his hands up and parked me 1/2 a block down the street. I told him I didn't want to be all alone, he said there would be 1,000 cars yet. While I was doing some clean up" several shiny cars were ushered in to the FULL LOT!. If there were 150 cars I would be surprised.

WELL! I went to church came back and I was still all alone. My truck was the only Dodge and the only original patina truck.  The 'head cheese' has a body shop in town a very high reputation for his skills.  H,m,m,m,m. 

Made me even prouder to be accepted as part of the forum. Thank guys

Edited by pflaming

You're always welcome in our crowd Paul......note that you were placed next to the shiny trucks, the B-1-BQ AND the trophy stand! One of which you won..."The Tough Trucker Award".....seems you are still a tough trucker for dealing with those who don't get it. lol

48D

48, I do well remember when you parked me in that spot. It was an honor. There is no crowd like this one! Afterthought!  I was there after church for two hours. I was constantly talking to fold who admired the truck. Several said, "Now that is how to preserve a truck". One said, "you even kept the generator!".  Other asked what the "Job Rated" icon meant.

I hung my Cabella and the "Dodge is the only JOB RATED TRUCK!" 'T' shirt on the hood and "as found" and "now" pictures on the hood.

Some couldn't believe it still had the six cylinder engine.

So it was a good day, but I will not return to their show next year.

Well Paul I'd have to say if you went to church, you definitely didn't come back to your truck ALONE.  Now as far as the big shot "organizer" goes tell him you are writing a letter to the local paper about your experience and how you felt you were snubbed...in the same breath plead poverty and tell him you'd like to have afforded a good paint job when you started your restoration (add-in the wife wouldn't hear of it).  Who nows in order to save himself a whole lot of local embarrassment he might cut you a deal you can't refuse.

Personally, I'm very over shows and like to get together on a much more casual basis like Saturday morning coffee shop get togethers.  You'd get plenty of love and attention down here...

See, Tim did!

TimE_zps136f4f89.jpg

and just say "to heck with anyone that doesn't like Patina   :mad: "

Hank  :wub:

Edited by HanksB3B

http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/pflaming/slideshow/

I hope this pic transfers. In the far left you see part of a yellow car. That was the start of the car show.

Tim, I well remember when you parked me in that special spot. It was obvious that you had saved it for my truck. Thank you ever so much.

Picture, I still get the whole tamale! There are several new pics to watch for: tennis truck ( alot of these guys' kids or grand kids are on that truck!!!); broken and mended shifter, I put a strong metal screw in to reattach; show snub; and "it's back, got to get wider shoes! 

EDIT: I may get the last laugh, the picture of my truck and the local Christian High School tennis team will be their feature picture in their SCHOOL ANNUAL!!!

Edited by pflaming

Sue him!  He put you somewhere in Sheboygan!  Can you attach a picture of him so I can use it as a dart board?

Is that him in front of the motorcycle on the left?

2013-05-05_1744_zps5939c3f4.png

Hank  :lol:  

There must be some sort of legislation that prevents such unfair treatment!

Edited by HanksB3B

I had a similar thing happen with my 1 ton several years ago.  They put me off by myself as the lone truck. I had a lot of spectators looking at my truck  (isn't show quality by any means) but it was different than the numerous plastic 32 Ford coupes, early camaros and new vettes.  I purposely skip that one every year-they can stick it.   I go to a lot of truck shows being a member of the Antique Truck Club of America.  You'll meet a lot friendlier folks at one of our events, and there is shiny stuff along with rust parked side by side given equal attention.   I avoid car shows as I'm not a trophy chaser, and have seen too many hissy fits from soreheaded losers.   One guy told me he could buy two trucks like mine for what he had in paint.  He was p o'd because I won a trophy and he didn't.  I offered to give him mine because I didn't want it-and that really ticked him off.  To me, these car shows could do themselves a favor by making them a non judged event and ditch the trophies. I do attend a fair amount of car cruises, and am always welcomed by the group.  Now there are several of us Dodge truck guys that his these as a group almost every week.   There goes the neighborhood! 

• Like 1

All the motor cycle guys liked my truck. They said, "Now that's the real deal". No that young man stopped by, had a nice chat with him. 

Paul;

Didn't you know that for the vast majority of people.......all their taste is in their mouth! :lol: They generally don't know what they actually like.....and if you press them on why they like one thing versus another they usually can't answer.

Now if it was me......I wouldn't bother saying anything to the organizer.......but I would consider showing up next year with a group of friends with similar vehicles and snub the crap out of him. But that is just me

Jeff

Some folks are just A$$es and they are best avoided once identified. If people ask you to if you can recomend a place for insurance work, paintjobs, etc make sure his operation is the first one you mention as not to go to. Its suprising how fast and far a negative recommendation will travel.

Sue him!  He put you somewhere in Sheboygan!  Can you attach a picture of him so I can use it as a dart board?

Is that him in front of the motorcycle on the left?

2013-05-05_1744_zps5939c3f4.png

Hank  :lol:  

There must be some sort of legislation that prevents such unfair treatment!

Hay! I am "almost" offended, as I am from sheboygan. :D

Early entry fee $30.00 which I paid several weeks before the show. I did a quick walk through the "show". They had the cars spaced so that a car would not fit in between yet by moving two vehicles there was ample room for a "late comer". A very interesting ploy, in my opinion. That was when I got **** off. 

The car show was connected with a "Street Faire" bad pun, but then a French word in German/Spanish/Armenian community  I guess makes some sense. The street fair was the usual mix of fair vendors and club fund raising food booths.

I'm going to find the chair of the vendor part and raise ****.  Then never attend again. OR. . . may not pay the entry fee next year, go early (5:00 a.m.) and parallel park in the best spot and force them to tow me away. When I see the tow truck coming, I will drive out.  H, m, m, m, . . . . 

Last week I went to a show and like 48 Dodger, they liked the unusually good old patina and parked me first in line by the trophy / announcer's booth.  I don't expect that kind of treatment, nice to get, but I do expect to be a part of the show. 

I nearly drove my truck down the center of the street through their crowd as a protest. I can do rash things but have mellowed a bit at age 75.

So, back to the convertible rebuild. Hank I'm sure was indicating distance not intending to slight Sheboygan. Us Californicators have a lot of respect for the hardy folk who live in those northern states. We think the Pacific Ocean water is cold and wear wet suits, while you chop a hole in the ice and jump in the 33 degree water to warm up on a sub zero day! Now that I call HARDY!

Edited by pflaming

We think the Pacific Ocean water is cold and wear wet suits, while you chop a hole in the ice and jump in the 33 degree water to warm up on a sub zero day! Now that I call HARDY!

My daughter and grandaughter did that as a part of a Special Olympics fund raiser.  They and about 30 other local school kids and adults went in.  As part of a regional fund raising effort, our small school, (180 students total in a preK -12 scool) earned a second place in fund raising by schools. Weather was in the twenties that day, no, I didn't go in.  Working that day and I've gotten over doing a lot of rash things too

Hmm, your truck is well within the cut off years for the event at my place... Might be the only running PH if you felt up to the drive. Mine is in pieces in the driveway, barn, garage, house... It's the "right" color... Looks like it's even the best cab style (3 window)...

I might even kick in a set of patina'd mirrors as your prize.

Lisa and I quit going to generic shows years ago. Between the check writers, the billet barges, the overpriced everything, the surf/50s "music", it just wasn't worth the headaches of trying to con one of the vintage cars, trucks or bikes into behaving long enough to get there and back w/o a ride on a tow truck.

Edited by Scruffy49

I went to a cruise night here in my town, met a bunch of nice guys. Only truck there, mostly hot rods and muscle cars. Funniest thing was this one guy who hung around for a while, really liked the truck, said I needed to Armourall the tires and could not believe I used the truck to do work. Had to show him the scratches in the bed and tailgate. Kept shaking his head. I'm gonna look for some truck club events, I want to meet others with these great old Dodges.

• Like 1

...snip... said I needed to Armourall the tires and could not believe I used the truck to do work....snip....

I hate the look of "armoralled" tires, or worse yet the "wet" look. Natural looking clean rubber is all you need.

• Like 1

I quit bringing our car to shows. I can't understand why I am supposed to pay money to allow people to look at our car. We do free cruises at restaurants once in awhile and just drive it whenever possible.