1952 Chebby Update

55 Fargo

Hey all,been going through this old Chevy, trying to get familiar witha 50s GM.

Neeeds more than met the eyes on 1st site, disovered the following

- complete brake job

-exhaust

-shocks

-front stablizer links and sway bar bushings

- rewire job and 12 volt conversion, as genny and reg are toast anyway

-wipers are not working(vacuum type)

-fuel tank cleaned or a new one, carb could use a kit too.

-good oil leak from rear on pan or rear main seal or both, have done the valve cover, it was real clean inside there.

- here is the bad news, this old engine runs well, sounds very good, but smokes oil pretty good, compression was done on a warm engine and I got 125,115,120,125,115,125, so compression is good, but smokin anyway. Oil pressure is very good for an engine of this type and age

-trans whines a bity in 1st and 2nd, but not bad, rear end and seems good, no noise from torque tube driveline either.

I ahve this and a whole lot of piddly things, a rust hole in trunck, but absolutely no other rust work whatsoever.

My main problem is this smokin engine, not sure which way I am going with this, probably no where right now, maybe back to work on the 55Fargo

...Or,the Bon Ami Chebby engine cure ;)

Glad to hear the it doesn't smoke now,perhaps just needed a bit of running.As you mentioned ,have to be careful of old gas and residue in the tank,it can cause problems . :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Below is an old shiverlay story you might enjoy

In 1966 when I was in the Army I bought a 1951 shiverlay in Georgia. This car did not have a heater as it was a southern car. After pulling the oil pan and adjusting the rod bearing shims to eliminate the engine "knock" I drove this car from Georgia to Ohio in late December and froze my a$$ off. Once home I added heat. I had an old heater core at home and I fabricated a heater using a cigar box and this old heater core. I opened up a pre punched hole in the firewall and mounted the cigar box with the heater core inside in front of this firewall hole. I removed one of the side pieces from the cigar box to allow air (from the radiator fan and the foreward movement of the car) to flow through the box. I had toasty warm heat for the return trip.

This trip was done before the interstate system was in place so most of the driving was done on two lane mountain roads through Northern Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. On the return trip I let my Army buddy drive while I parked my self in the shotgun seat in front of the heater and cought a few ZEEEES. I got a rude awakening whan my head suddenly was hitting the roof of the car as my buddy fell asleep while driving. The car still ran and steered OK per my buddy so I told him to stop at the next gas station. Pulled up to the pump and found the side of the car smashed up to the point the gas door would not open. Pried it open, filled her up, and returned to base on time.

Thanx Don I did enjoy this story.

I take it this was a 216 engine, 3 spd standard 4.11 rearend. How fast would you be drivin that old girl down the highway?

I also recall you mentioning a 235 swap in your dad's 52 Chebby. I also have a later 235 wainting in the wings.

There are a lot of things I really like about these cars, and a few things I don't, overall I enjoy this car, it needs a lot, but bodywise, and most of the mechanical are in real good shape. I pulled the valve cover last week, it was quite clean in there, a good sign in my books, compression is 115-125 , not bad either....ps had her up to 50 mph a few times, with only ebrakes working..

Below is an old shiverlay story you might enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fred.  Sounds like the ol Chevy isn't too bad in many ways.

As you made a list of things needing attention, you can just start plugging away at the

needed repairs.  Be interesting to see how it turns out eventually.