Dash Removal Woes

Raceandoval
Go to solution Solved by pflaming,

Any insights or tips on removal of dash components on a 1949 Chrysler Windsor? Got the steering wheel, front windshield glass/rubber removed.... Bezel, speedometer, buttons, and wiring harnesses are stumping me. Here's what the dash looks like:

post-5948-0-61214500-1367546606_thumb.jpg

post-5948-0-51171400-1367546628_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like some screws in the housing over te speedo.  But don't know if actual speedo would come out from front, or back side of

dash.  The dash knobs probably have either regular screws or allen screws on the bottom side that cinch down on the shaft.   

Radio knobs may have set screws.....then remove chrome collars,,,,,,,probably thin nuts under collar on threaded shaft of

radio.  It may have a brace behind dash too. 

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

• Solution

Disconnect the oil and temp lines. The oil line should have a disconnect location about a foot from the fire wall. The temp line, remove from the block. There will be mounting screws along the top and on the ends. Probably one brace in the middle. Disconnect the radio antenna, it just pulls out. The steering post had two long bolts, remove those. Your might need to remove the radio first. It usually has a brace to the firewall.

Once the dash is loose, then check for the remaining things. I removed my seats put an old sleeping bag and a pillow on the floor, then lying comfortably, I went searching with a good flashlight.  

When you're done, take a good shower. That dust is NASTY stuff! Good luck.  I'm just a few days ahead of you. 

25 foot length of chain and a D6 crawler..it will come out...

do document the process as going in will be almost reverse of coming out...certain things must be done in order..else you back up to get it done and cause more time and being on your head to begin with..adds to the frustration

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

do document the process as going in will be almost reverse of coming out...certain things must be done in order..else you back up to get it done and cause more time and being on your head to begin with..adds to the frustration

So 25 feet of chain and a D6 crawler is required to re-install too? :)

Bob  you laugh...I had the guys at the house a few days back upgrading the barn for ease of access..I then told them we would take a chain and push the 62 in the barn...just need one to steer while one keep look out for the back wall..KJ laughed...till I hooked up the chain and pushed the car into the bay....

I'll highlight the posted difference in my above reply and make it easier to read.. :lol:

always have a disclaimer...!

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I pulled a steering column out of a Buick like that once, didn't use a D6 though.  A guy owed my father money so I hooked one end of a chain up to my truck and the other end around his steering column and "settled" the debt.

I took a front bumper off a 40s dodge panel truck with a floor jack once in the junkyard. They didnt charge us extra for the little chunks of frame still connected to it.....

Ray, taking out that dash is not that difficult. It took me one sunday afternoon. So don't let it intimadate you. I doubt you have to pull the steering wheel to remove the dash. I didn't have to. 

It's a lot a work to take a 1949-50 Chrysler dash out properly. It took me a while to climb out from behind all the wiring stuffed behind my 1950 NewYorker dash! But when you get it all back in and together it will look like this! Take your time and take plenty of pictures. Chryslers have a lot more wiring and complexity than a Plymouth or Dodge.

Bob

When I removed items from the dash 'frame' I put all bolts and screws back into the holes from which they came. Today I sandblasted that frame, then I mounted that frame on my bench, and reinstalled every thing I could. Details on my '53 Convertible post. 

Ray, the last one finished on our dashes buys rib sandwiches at Bravos in Traver, CA!  :angry:

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1