Wiring Repair - Nothing Like A Little Smoke To Get Your Attention

woodie49

I had a small electrical mishap today after doing some work on the engine compartment. I moved my OD cable against some wires and forgot to move it back before firing up.  I saw smoke right away and shut down and disconnected the battery.  One of the three wires going from the positive side of the coil had shorted against the OD cable. Of course, it affected all three wires as they got hot.  I pulled the wiring holder apart and inspected them.  Two of the wires have some insulation burnt off  (I think they could safely just be wrapped in electric tape), and one, which goes to the ignition switch has actually burnt a coupe strands of wiring. Because of the harnesses, I would like to cut these and splice in new same guage wire.  I am not sure if i can use a wireless connector for this or if I should use a soldered connector with a sleeve to insulate.  It looks clear that no other wires in the harness are affected.  I have also considered cutting them at both ends and rewiring around the harness.  The wires go to the ignition side of the horn relay, the flasher and directly to the ignition switch through a kind of long cable that starts at the fire wall.  This one looks a little hard to access at the switch end.

The wires in question are probably original and the old cloth-type. This is the first wiring related issue I have had, with the wiring generally looking very good on the car. 

I think I would prefer to splice them with new rubber insulated wire since the area of damage is apparent and I know what caused it.  Is there any reason that splicing these wires should be a problem?

I cannot see a reason why not. I have done that many times on old and new cars without a problem. I would solder them though because I have seen too many solderless connecters come apart. Then tape or shrink wrap with rubber shrink tubing. My 2cents.

• Like 2

Electrical stuff works on smoke.  Usually when something happens to let the smoke out, the stuff doesn't work anymore.  You can buy cloth covered wire by the foot from various vendors,  I would order up some new, and replace the smoked ones with modern stuff till you can effect a permanent fix.

I cannot see a reason why not. I have done that many times on old and new cars without a problem. I would solder them though because I have seen too many solderless connecters come apart. Then tape or shrink wrap with rubber shrink tubing. My 2cents.

Exactly!