Wiper Motor Changover

tombstone

has anyone figured out what wiper motor will work on my 48 plymouth? I want to use one from a junk yard that is 12 volts. i have lots of room because i took out the radio. mounting is no problem, just want to know which one has the two post on the motor and goes one way and back the other instead of a single post and makes a 360 degree roration. was told an early model dodge pickup had this setup. any input would be helpfull. thanks, Terry 

Terry,

I can't help you with the wiper motor connections, but from personal experience I can tell you that unless you want to mount the motor way off to one side you will loose the ability to open the cowl vent because the motor will be in the way of the linkage.  You might want to consider having the vacuum motor rebuilt instead.  If you are determined to have electrics then I have a 6v motor from a '51 Dodge I'll let go of but seriously consider keeping the vacuums.

-Randy

I went to electric wipers in my 47 Plymouth, but I bought the kit from Newport Engineering. Good kit, easy installation, I think it was about 180.00. The only down side is it wouldn't clear the original radio ( I don't like 40's music anyway Lol)

I must ask, how much rain driving are you gonna do? Vacuum wipers work well unless you are under heavy acceleration. And the addition of a vacuum resivoir will greatly assist. These cars when new were driven daily rain or shine and the factory wiper setup worked then.

• Like 1

I must ask, how much rain driving are you gonna do? Vacuum wipers work well unless you are under heavy acceleration. And the addition of a vacuum resivoir will greatly assist. These cars when new were driven daily rain or shine and the factory wiper setup worked then.

Kind of agree with Don on this. If the vacuum unit is in good working order (as in have Wiperman.com rebuild it correctly) and the linkages are correctly lubed with the right wiper blades they work pretty good. And throw on a cheap vacuum reserve tank you get rid of the hesitation on acceleration issue. Or you can go gucci with fuel pump with vacuum booster or a Trico electric vacuum booster pump!  

Don nailed it.