Thanks Very Much

spike

Wanted to give big ups to T. Estrada. Talk about making a neophyte newbie feel welcome. A lot of the time it goes unsaid, but I am truly grateful for the cheerful help T. has provided. We've tackled the runningboard/fender issue and are moving on. Next....Am researching the providers/opportunities to redo the bed wood on the B1B. Have seen what MAR-K has, and was wondering, any other options that you experts can recommend? As always, much appreciative of the tips/advise the "experts" can provide. All The Best.   Spike

• Like 1

Bruce Horkey. There is another company that uses the name Bed Wood and Parts or something really similar to Horkey's shop name as well. Both do absolutely stunning wood work. Look in an issue od Classic Trucks or Custom Classic Trucks magazine. Chev's of the 40s/Street Rod Headquarters also has a bed wood division, and offers roughly 40 species of domestic and tropical hardwoods.

Stock bed floors were either oak or pine, both painted flat black with black steel skid/rub strips. If you are going to paint the floor up as stock, use pine, Douglas fir or hemlock. Not going to carry anything? Redwood or western red cedar are both very rot resistant.

Going for the fancy furniture grade finish? Sky is the limit.

I have on hand far too many choices of material: TN/VA cedar (the stuff wood mothballs are made out of), elm, pin oak, water oak, red oak, white oak, black locust, honey locust, black walnut, english walnut, hickory, pecan, sycamore, persimmon, pine, Osage orange, sweet gum, sassafrass, paw paw; plum burl, oak burl, walnut burl, sweet gum burl, hickory burl... Most as standing timber. I plan to make my bed boards from what is on hand... I do have already milled heart poplar from the 1800s, but, it's probably worth more than my truck.

the ONLY thing against Horkey's is they do not carry the proper bed strips, but the chevy/ferd versions.  Bruce is a great guy, talked to him many a time.

Midwest Military is th eonly one to carry the proper strips.

Dang....you guys are good. Again...am very appreciative. Not stuck on pure stock. Thinkin' pretty hard about Oak, with polished stainless strips and angles. Truck is fire engine red with black fenders/running boards. When I finish the bedwood, gonna add an antique steamer trunk for my "tool box". Plan on an Oak trunk.....and dying the leather straps red, with black hardware. Should be badazz IMHO.

You guys are GREAT.

Thanks Again

First the metal strips are properly call shovel strips to keep the grain scoupe shovels from digging into the wood. 

For a utilitarian floor get a quality piece of 3/4" marine plywood. Stain it the color you wish, bolt on the shovel strips an only "you and your hair dresser will know". 

I stained mine a flat black in keeping with the original black bed offering.

Just another choice. 

• Like 1

gdad: Yes!  I did not paint the inside of my bed, but my floor looks very similar to yours. You used individual boards, I used a 3/4" sheet of marine plywood. I prefer the black stained look, but that's personal. When I mar my floor, it will be easy to fix. 

The old FEF looks real sharp Mark! I saw a truck bed recently where the bed strips were painted the same color as the truck. I haven't installed bed strips in mine yet (and am not sure that I will) but I did like the look of the strips the same color as the vehicle. From memory (and  the Bunn Bible), the original combination for the truck beds was black timber and black bed strips wasn't it?

The old FEF looks real sharp Mark! I saw a truck bed recently where the bed strips were painted the same color as the truck. I haven't installed bed strips in mine yet (and am not sure that I will) but I did like the look of the strips the same color as the vehicle. From memory (and  the Bunn Bible), the original combination for the truck beds was black timber and black bed strips wasn't it?

yep, Black on Black....Next week I'm gonna get the headliner in and finish out the interior and all I'll have "left" is the horn issue.

according to restorers guide book, wood floor boards and steel skid strips were always painted black. I know it says what type of wood dodge originally used as well but i cant find that right now

Southern yellow pine was the "original" wood species from what I could find out, but I went with White oak...it'll NEVER rot, EVER.

Headliner and such came from Quiet Ride. 

• Like 1

Ok dug out all my books over lunch today. Very lacking in interior shots or shots of the doors open. From what I can tell in there the 39-47 trucks to indeed have windlace around the door openings and the 48 and ups to not.

Ed..in my picture book of that era truck there is but one picture that shows anything of the interior about the door opening in a close up...and IT DOES appear to have wind lace about the door opening and the filler panel between door and windshield filler ..only sad part here is that it did not define if this was production photo or someone's attempt at a restoration...so this is my disclaimer...lol

Edited by Plymouthy Adams