That Crusty Old Camper Again

41/53dodges

Good news everyone!

We went to check out the camper som more this weekend, and for those of you that feel like bashing it dont even start. We got some more pictures, it is a rebuilder for sure. but on the positive it's frame is pristine! no rust, and the wood looks like somebody just installed it. It is a single axle, rather hard to see it in those pics from the leaves accumulated under it, but the wheels look good too. Since it is a single axle, it should be in the 3000 lbs or less range, and theres no bathroom or anything heavy, and being that big I would think it would have brakes. if not, its gettin em! So now comes the question, will the truck have enough snot to pull it around on the 55 roads, or am I going to have to do a little frankensteining?

Heres a small album of it before the guy cleaned it out, it is MUCH better now. (and it looks better on it's own wheels too...)

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/4153dodges/library/Camper%20until%20i%20know%20what%20it%20is?sort=3&page=1

• Like 2

If you put an overdrive in your truck, you could set it up to have six gears. I would then put radial tires on the trailer and with the OD I would think you could do about anything you might want to do. I have an original patina truck, so I would only wash that trailer. However I am told there is a paint/junk remover for airplanes that does not require sanding. That is one cool trailer. 

If there are 2 wires going into the backing plate, is has electric brakes. If it has a fruit jar master cylinder and pivoting tongue, it has juice brakes that are independent of the tow rig, my horse trailer has that set up and it works fine, dual axle 2 horse straight load from the 60s. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you'll never have stopping issues with it. Converting from surge brakes or no brakes to electric is not cheap (and the tow rig MUST be 12v negative ground or it will fry the controller).

Plan to pop the windows out and caulk under them. They may look alright, but if it has been sitting as long as it appears to have been sitting, the seam sealer will crack once you move it. Same around any roof vents.

Vintage wiring is notorious for rodent damage. Apparently the insulation has a sweet aspect that draws them like flies. And plan to at minimum soapy water test all your gas line fittings and junctions. They may snug up, they may need to be replaced. Jets in the stove, fridge, furnace, water heater, etc are likely to be plugged up, old carbon and atmospheric moisture turn into cement on copper and brass fittings...

Are you going to do the paint and upholstery to match the truck?

Although it has one axle it probably weighs more that 3000 lbs.  The older trailers were heavier but must still used one axle.  Try Northern Tools for a new axle, you can get them complete with brakes and drums.  One less problem out on the road.

I actually plan to almost completely rebuild that trailer. Being in northern Wisconsin requires a ton of insulation and a metal belly, and it has niether yet. So it will get all new wiring, gas plumbing, and insulation. And rather than match the truck, which I think looks a little cheesy, it will have a black roof and a roayal blue body. Should contrast a green/black truck nicely, dont ya think?

Edited by 41/53dodges

Tim, you must be in cahoots with my wife. (I assume you were talking about my camper!) She's said the same thing.

The camper is pretty much done, we've used it all over the country. It's the website I've been a slacker on.

As to the camper above, it'll be pretty cool when done. I think it's a lot better than it looks. All that nasty dirt makes it look pretty bad.

• 2 months later...

Update:

This last week went much better than expected,

The original deal fell through due to the seller's family stuff about a month ago, but as of Wednesday we finally got together and finished it off! Had to drag it down 30 miles of country gravel road, but for not moving since the 80's it towed darn good! It now keeps the 41' company back at the cabin and awaits some new doors and windows.

And here is about 3 dozen more pictures!

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/4153dodges/library/Camper%20until%20i%20know%20what%20it%20is?sort=3&page=1

I' m watching to see how your truck pulls that trailer. I'm thinking of a single axle trailer also, but I have to pull up to 6,000 feet if I get one. My Uncle and Aunt pulled a tear drop all over America in the'50's with a Windsor Chrysler, so the truck should do that and more.

Well, today the new furnace was put together for it's test run, now it just needs paint and bolts!

so yes Tim, I do get projects done, just takes awhile to get at em! :D

Even for people that have no interest in campers, this was a pretty cool project.

It's an old potbelly gone LP

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/4153dodges/library/Camper%20until%20i%20know%20what%20it%20is/A%20project%20within%20a%20project?sort=3&page=1

How warm does that cast iron frame get? I would guess that would really warm up a shop. Had one out of a church in our ranch shop in NE when I was in high school. FIrst time loaded it up with blocks of railroad ties. About burned the shop down. I spent the afternoon in the attic wtih several cream cans of water keeping the floor cool til the chimney cooled down.

Oh I know man. I ran that little turd on charcoal on charcoal once. woked really well, but took down a 40lb bag in 2 hours! Hate to see what it would have done if I opened up the air intakes! at least the valve I used has an adjustable flame setting, it ought to heat that trailer nicely even in the dead of winter!

Actually its all a semi-sealed system, none of the joints are sealed up but the burner actually draws it's air from down below, and there is a tube coming through the floor and coming up to the bottom of the stove to supply cold air from outside. A carbon sensor wouldnt be a bad plan, really any enclosed space for occupation should have them. Since it will usually have electrical hookup, it will really be easiest and cheapest to run an electric heater when its convenient. I will say the LP stove isn't overly efficient, but it is leaps and bounds better than the old broken kerosene thing. Really it's about the same as a gas furnace once I figure some things out to make it more efficient. We use a wood stove to heat the house, when done right its darn efficient!