Tire Sizes

Dave

Wondering what size tires your trucks have. My 57 200 har 8 x 17.5 tires. Radials on the rear and very old bias ply on the front, came that way and I just getting to replacing them. Drives terrible if I go over 45. I am looking to put radials on the front to get it right. Do you guys use radials?

I'm running 235/75 R15 Good Year Wrangler tires. The rims are 5 1/2" wide. I needed that width to clear the front calipers, and I like the wider tire look, to my eye the truck needs a wider tire for it's 'heavy' appearance.

I had these on an S-10 4WD.  These were semi-aggressive treading and I would run a road tread if I were to replace. Yet it drives straight and rides very nice. I did remove one leaf all around. It needs some weight in the bed though, not too much but some. 

6.00-16 blackwall bias ply from the late 60s. 6.00-16 wide whites from the early 60s. 7.00-15 mudder bias ply from the 70s. LT235/75R15 on 1978 L'il Red express rims. P225/70R14 on Ranger alloys. P225/60R15 on Ranger alloys.

Depends on my mood. Mine has had all of those on it at some point for test fitting or rolling it around the yard.

Your 17.5" set up is beyond obsolete. What is your wheel bolt pattern? 5 on 5? Big 6? Generic 8 lug? You may want to consider stepping down to a 16" rim if for no other reason than finding tires. I may have some 17.5 here, but, they may be 19.5, can't remember what size the D600 based RV takes. Do recall they are around $300 per tire, and it takes 6 of them...

Dave:  I can't see from your photo what type of rims you have but they look to be 6 lug Budd style.  If they're 17.5's they are probably drop centers.  You'll have to be careful if you go in search of a replacement rim to adapt to a more popular tire size. That bolt pattern doesn't have a lot of alternatives.  There are  16", 16.5, and 17's" rims will match your bolt pattern but may not clear your brake drums.  If you're looking for rims, especially the locking ring style make sure the rims are solid and not rust jacked where the hoop is riveted to the centers.   Again-making sure the rims will fit your truck is key.    Mike

As MB notes if is is the 6 lug on a one ton, then get yourself a set of 16" rims. They are available in junk yards and other members. Plan on a 6.00 x 16. It will be hard finding a radial narrow enough but if you do you will need to run tubes and radial flaps. A truck tire shop is a good place to get help. and as noted these are lock ring rims, not split rims as they are commonly mis-identified.

Also might want to check Hollanders for a list of potential donor vehicles. Pretty sure it includes so late 50s early 60s Ford trucks. 

Edited by P15-D24

The rims are 6 lug, Budd type. I am not sure about drop center, what is that? The rims are in very good shape and the tires are good to new. Obsolete? Well yes they are but they work and I want to keep the truck as original as I can, and I believe they are original. If I wanted to be more "modern" I would get rid of the wheels, brakes, steering, etc. not what I want, I like obsolete...Dave

The drop center rim is most likely what you have.  It is similar to a modern car rim.  Dodge used these on the 17" and other single piece rims of the era.   There is a large recess in the center of the rim that one side of the bead slips into when mounting or dismounting a tire.  The drop center should allow you to run tubeless tires w/o flaps and the worry of the lock ring coming off.  The locking ring is a 2 piece rim with a removable ring on one side of the rim that fits into a groove on the outside edge of the rim.  You can run radials on the locking ring rim, but as someone else said you'll need radial tubes.  The limitation is tire width for this style rim, but others here have done this successfully and provide more detailed information.  I can get you the measurement of the inside diameter of a 16" rim which you should compare to your brake drums and the narrowest part of your current rims.  You will want to make sure that a 16" locking ring rim won't have any clearance issues with your front or rear drums and tie rod ends due to a different offset.  You may want to look around some local junkyards.  Some of the older motorhomes used the 6 lug rim in a drop center design.  Another source (if they would fit) are the military Kaiser jeep styled pickup of the 70's.  These also have the 6 lug Budd design and may also be available.  Mike

Edited by MBFowler