Plymouth Owners Club National Meet In Tucson Video

plymouthasc

I had the opportunity to attend the Plymouth Owners Club car meet in Tucson, Arizona last weekend (April 14, 2013). I took along my video camera and put together a short video. It is posted on my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/ihazwings

I will be posting some short 1-2 minute videos in the coming weeks showing individual cars with descriptions provided by the owners. If you subscribe to the YouTube channel with your email, you will be notified when those short videos are posted.

It was a nice event put on the Grand Canyon Region of POC. The location was beautiful this time of year.

I did not take my '41 as I only had the weekend.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this event.

Edited by plymouthasc
  • Like 5

They had some “technical sessions” on things like painting. Seems to me there should be a technical session at national meets on making good car films and you should the presenter!

My feeble effort is far worse: 

4/23/2013: Revised to use different background music.

• Like 5

I spent 10 years in the movie business and I can't do movies - but I did take some stills. Not real professional but I wasn't there to take pictures. It's so interesting that when you walk up to most old car owners they will talk your ear off. I spoke to people who drove down from Oregon, SF bay area, Salt Lake City. The old girls still do work. (there were a few trailer queens).

Todd, I am curious as to how many cars showed up for the event.  On the POC board, the only mention of the event was a link to the same video posted above.  How many folks attended, what other activities were included in the event?  Did you guys do any group trips out or about in Tucson to see the sights? We were in Sedona for a week, but didn't have an opportunity to include Tucson in our plans, as we arrived at the Phoenix airport at 3 PM on the sat of the show.  

Todd, I am curious as to how many cars showed up for the event.  On the POC board, the only mention of the event was a link to the same video posted above.  How many folks attended, what other activities were included in the event?  Did you guys do any group trips out or about in Tucson to see the sights? We were in Sedona for a week, but didn't have an opportunity to include Tucson in our plans, as we arrived at the Phoenix airport at 3 PM on the sat of the show.  

I was surprised to learn that the Grand Canyon Region has a total of 6 members, the minimum number required by national to form a region. So that is 6 people spread around a rather large state. The fact that they were able to pull off a national meet is a testament to them. Kind of makes you wonder about why there haven't been national meets in the mid-west or east.

Needless to say visitor owned cars out numbered the local owned ones. There were cars into the late 60s but my focus is on the 30s where there were, if I recall correctly, 10 cars. My guess is there were 75 to 150 cars there.

The hosts gave out a list of things to do and places to go but the only formal outings I am aware of were a shopping trip for the spouses on the meet day and a tour of the Franklin Museum on Sunday.

On Thursday the group I toured down with made stops at the Sonoran Desert National Monument, the Ira H. Hayes and Mathew B. Juan Memorial Park in Sacaton (Ira Hayes was an American Indian marine who helped raise the flag on Iwo Jima), Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, the Tom Mix Memorial (first movie cowboy who died crashing his Cord at the site) and Biosphere 2 on our way into town. I know a number of people went to the Pima Air Museum on Friday.

As far as other events, they had some "technical sessions" where experts in things like automotive painting gave presentations.
  • Like 1

I was surprised to learn that the Grand Canyon Region has a total of 6 members, the minimum number required by national to form a region. So that is 6 people spread around a rather large state. The fact that they were able to pull off a national meet is a testament to them. Kind of makes you wonder about why there haven't been national meets in the mid-west or east.

We had a meet here in MN in 2011. Before that it was 2002. Next one close to me is Detroit next year.

You can call it Detroit but isn't the meet actually in Port Huron???

I'm not sure. I guess I should have said its being hosted by the Detroit region.