Hook Up Horn Relay

mrbobs48

Ok the horn relay wiring is messed up thats why the car won't start. Here is what is there now,(1) thick red wire coming out of dash firewall to batt terminal on horn relay. (1)Thick green wire to horn terminal on relay, (1) black wire coming out of bottom of steering column to ground terminal on relay , small green wire coming out of dash firewall to coil. Now whats wrong with all this. Where is my ign wire to horn relay  How does the horn relay wire up????  I don't think the coil wire is right either.  Im confused  1948 plymouth

Edited by mrbobs48

confused to the point that you do not realize that the + voltage to the coil and the horn is shared supply only and should not be on the points side of the coil...

if this is not the case... it is apparent that there is yet a ground issue on the horn circuits...do ensure the relay other contacts are properly connected

D-25 wiring shown.   Should be same as P-15

The horn relay terminal is just a common junction for wire connections.

This diagram shows the common connection at the coil. If your Red wire is going to the horn relay, electrically it is the same hook up, just using a different common point.

Both the coil, and the horn relay are at the same common point, but they have nothing to do with each other.

Follow this diagram, and wire accordingly.

Two different circuits. Troubleshoot independently.

post-80-0-77634100-1366058181_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

The small green wire coming out of the firewall is going to the -- side of the coil.  The plus side of the coil is heading into the dist. That the way I found it. Should there be a wire from the --- side of solenoid going to the battery side of horn relay  terminal.. There is one on it.  This positive ground is crazy stuff to me.

Edited by mrbobs48

Positive ground is no more difficult than negative ground.  Power goes in the electrical unit on one side and comes out on the ground side.  As long as they're consistant with the battery hookup it's correct.  if the batt terminal on the horn relay is supposed to hot all the time, it's correct for a pos ground system.  The coil would also be wired correctly.  Trace your wires on the horn relay to be sure they're hooked up right

Positive ground is no more difficult than negative ground.  Power goes in the electrical unit on one side and comes out on the ground side.  As long as they're consistant with the battery hookup it's correct.  if the batt terminal on the horn relay is supposed to hot all the time, it's correct for a pos ground system.  The coil would also be wired correctly.  Trace your wires on the horn relay to be sure they're hooked up right

Dave, don't follow that statement at all..its just two wires....now if you were using two different potential negative power supplies for a differential  positive voltage I could see where you may get a bit confuse...

Guess i'm unclear on everything today.  On a pos ground system, the neg side of coil is towards the switch and the pos side is towards the points, ground side.  On a neg system it's reversed, -pos side coil towards the switch, neg towards the dis, point where it's grounded.  As to which way electricty flows is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. The horn relay part of the respone was to mrbobs post regarding power to the horn relay as to what side of the solenoid it should be powered from.  As to whether or not the relay on his car is wired correctly, i have no idea which was the part about tracing his wires.