Midwest Gathering

So, I got to thinking... I had so much fun out at Tim's BBQ that I figured I might try again to get something going around here. Todd had a chance to get things going last summer with his luau, but unfortunetly it ended up being a bad date for me. I had to choose between my cousins wedding (that my mother was coming up for) or Todd's party. I had to choose my biological family over my Pilot-House family. I'm still bummed about that. Anyway, I got to thinking that there are several truck guys, and a few car guys, within an hour or two drive from me. My house and yard are pretty small, and not condusive to this type of gathering, but I'd be more than happy to reserve a pivillion at a local park for a cook-out / get together.

According to my memory the following members are within a 60 radius of Waukesha;

jboymechanic (Jon)

Willis Pingel (Bill)

41/53 dodges (Josh)

beyert99 (Tim)

Bradley S. (Brad)

Herr Otto (Mike)

MacGyver (?) [car guy]

dndrodshop (Ed) [car guy]

And I know there are a couple more nearby but I've forgotten the names.

If I go out a bit farther (2-3 hr drive);

Dave72dt

Todd B

swan06 (Greg)

Denise Tripp

And again I know there are a couple more in central WI and northern IL, but I forget the screen names at the moment.

If I go out 5 hours (in a modern vehicle) there is;

Young Ed

ggdad1951 (Mark)

Dennis_MN

Watching Wolf (?) [car guy]

And more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

So, would anyone be interested in getting together Saturday, September 21st in, or near, Waukesha, WI? That happens to be an open fall weekend on my calendar. I could maybe juggle some things and move it up to the 14th if that'll work better. I'll bring burgers, brats and a grill.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

Google says 324 miles. That'd be a long day in either the pickup or the coupe. Probably require an overnight. The plymouth club goes on a fall tour right at the end of sept beginning of Oct. While its not likely to be that weekend two long trips back to back would probably force me to chose one or the other.

Any thought to moving it a little west? Even madison drops it t0 269.

The first time that I came to your town it was for the annual car show on a Sunday in August. You could have a deal in conjunction with that, kind of crash their party. I had a wonderful ride on two lane roads to get there and it took all day, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Dennis

I would have no problem driving down to you, but my offer stands to have it on my land.  We are going to do the luau every 2 years.  I have had several freinds asking for every year but it really took a ton of work.  We have a great location to have a get together and my land is always available for fun.  My location is Marion WI

I am in for what ever the majority is.

Todd B.

Interesting... the first 3 to respond are the farthest away. :P

Dennis, the Waukesha show is Sunday Aug11th, and I'm hoping to be able to attend again this year. I didn't want to tie it into a bigger event. I'd rather have a smaller gathering.

Todd, Thanks for the offer but maybe we can alternate parties. I'll host the opposite years of your Luau's. I'm starting to think if it turns out to be only a few of us, I'll just host it at my house. If I get a larger response I'll look for a suitable park location. (PIlot-House's in the Park :D ) As I stated earlier my driveway and yard are fairly small. But there's parking on the street (as long as you have a good parking brake). I'm kind of on a hill.

Hopefully we'll get more responses on this, but I'll just plan on doing something Saturday. Sept 21st and we'll see what we get. Hopefully it'll be a nice fall day.

I haven't seen Bill, Mike, or Tim on the forum lately. Maybe I'll shoot them an email to see what they think. I now remember another guy in Antioch. I met him once, the last time I attended the Waukesha Car Show, but I don't remember his name now... Does Justin Shultz ring a bell to anyone? Maybe he's on the DEPTCA member listing.

I'll wait to hear from more guys, and I'll keep you all posted on the plan throughout the summer.

Merle

Weekends are my days to work, so much as I would like to attend, you can pretty much rule me out.   Somebody will have to retire for me to get weekdays.  Swapping years with Todd does sound like a good idea.

There is also supposed to be a Motorcycles and Mopars event at my place in Rosemark TN in September... Waiting on the scooter tramps to choose a date. 54 acres including a 2 acre fishing/swimming pond, and a couple acre shooting range. Mostly shady.

Regional get togethers on the same weekend...?

Merle I've been hibernating all winter in my den. I need to check the date with the wifee since that would be the weekend of our anniversary, 26 yrs and she's still putting up with me!! I will let you know but it sounds like a good time. Hopefully we can get together this summer before September, I need to get this truck out on the road. The wife told me last week to get off my butt and get those license plates before she sells it.

Dave, I knew it wouldn't work for you, unless you called in dead ;) , but most of the rest of us work during the week. Maybe someday we can get together again. By the way... thanks again for the bumper. Now with the RH visor and dome light I got from Keven this past weekend, the only piece I still want for my truck is a RH mirror bracket.

Tim, it's good to hear from you again. I agree that we should do something this summer too. I'd like to get out to the Cruise Nite @ Gus' in East Troy at least once this year. Maybe we can meet up there.

Scruffy,  that sounds like a good event too. It would be nice to have a few regional events happening every year.

Its a great idea Merle, and after meeting you, I know you're the right man for the job! If I can help in anyway, let me know.

And I promise, if you get it rolling, I owe you a trip out thata way in the future. :D

48D

Hi all, I am located near Kankakee, IL about 50 miles south of Chicago.  I have a 49 B1B that was my grandfathers and I am the second owner.  The truck was all original when I restored it several years ago but since that time the tranny has had to be replaced.  If a get together is planned for WI or IL I will plan to attend.  I have already committed to an around Lake Michigan trip with my Model A club Sept 7 through 15 so will not be able to attend during that period.  Ken

Hey there Ken, come on up. As of right now it's planned for Sept 21st. Stay tuned thoughout the summer for more details.

So far it looks like we'll have a good turnout. I think I have 6 guys that have shown interest at this point. It should be a fun day.

I found my DPETCA member list and found the Antioch, IL guy. It is Jeremie Schultz. I sent him and email, but it bounced back. I also found two other guys on the list that are right here in the Milwaukee Metro area. I never even knew they were here. I'll try to contact them too. I did make contact with Herr Otto (Mike) from northern IL. He sold his truck a while back to a guy down in Joliet. I didn't get any info on the new owner. Some may remember Mike's truck. He didn't post here a lot, but he had a '49 "X" truck with a slant 6 engine. He said it ran great, but he sold it for another project.

I'm looking forward to this. Now I've got some work to do. B)

Mere,

At this moment we are hosting my in-laws reunion Sept 22 on my land.  My wife is going to try to move that date.  I will keep in touch.  Do not change on my aaccount. I have learned that you cannot please everyone.

Sounds like a lot of fun. It's close enough to Northern Michigan to pack up the wife and head down there. It would be a great ride for the old "51 B3C. oldbuck_oldtruck at Pilothouse Interiors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll see if I can make it.  Will have to talk the g/f into letting me out of her sight the weekend before I'm gone for 2 weeks.

Merle,

I am planning on coming with my semi,  my son is also planning on coming with the b1b that we are restoring (hopefully its done or far enough that we can get it there).  We will have to come back home that same day because of the reunion on my hill.

I am looking forward for this.

Todd B

If you let her have her way now you should plan on selling your truck and buying a skirt (the skirt will be for you)

I'll see if I can make it.  Will have to talk the g/f into letting me out of her sight the weekend before I'm gone for 2 weeks.

• Like 2