Tucson Tour. . . (Ot)

TodFitch

One day left and I guess it is time to figure out what to pack for the trip.

Interesting how you can get a little nagging voice in the back of your head telling you all the things that could go wrong. Even though you've gone over the car multiple times and you've done long trips before. Just not taken long trips in it in the last 12 months (longest trip last summer was only about 300 miles). Time since long trip seems to be also a measure of how much you doubt the car's condition to do it again.

Oh, well. I'm pretty sure the car is in better condition than it was when I drove it from Maryland to California decades ago and it did just fine back then. I'm sure that nagging "something might go wrong" voice will go away as soon as we are on the road. Time to enjoy the actual road trip.

post-45-0-27940500-1365392541_thumb.jpg

Yes, Mark D arrived the same time we did (about an hour behind schedule) and we had a nice but very short visit. Got links to his photos?

Just a bit under 400 miles today. Denise's 46 P15 four door is having some issues climbing steep grades. Maybe a fuel delivery problem, but other wise a trouble free day. Getting across the mountains without getting on a freeway means doing some higher elevation side roads. Here is the group at the high point for the day (also high point for the trip). There was a snow flurry yesterday and a few traces of white stuff in the shady north facing areas. Overall, great weather with a tail wind for much of the day.

post-45-0-53043700-1365570568_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-63446300-1365570583_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice photos,Tod...and no wheel chocks required.

Today's story is that it may not be a fuel issue but a slipping clutch. I can't fathom how one can confuse the symptoms, but the owner is the widow of the fellow who got it together and the driver friend is not a car person. We are going to suggest a driver rotation tomorrow to get a "car person" to actually drive it and give a more informed description of the symptoms. We did our 354 miles with no problems (no steep grades to trigger the problem with the P15).

No pretty pictures today, just cars at parking lots along the way. At least not my me but at dinner I saw that others had taken some nice photos.

hmmm - Slipping clutch is exactly what I told the fella that was driving! He was thinking it was fuel starvation, but confirmed partial choke didn't help the situation, hence my diagnosis. Glad to see she's still following along with you all.<br /><br />

Mine was slipping a couple summers back.  Not bad enough to smoke, and not enough for me to smell it.  But a small bit of adjustment cured the problem.  Another symptom was a slight grinding going from reverse or neutral into first.  A quick shift into second, usually allowed the shift back to low as the 2nd gear synchros stopped or slowed the input shaft enough to affect the shift.