Finally, Starting To Work On The Interior

48ply1stcar

REAR WIRING HARNESS IN PLACE

OK,  all of the required wires are in place.  Although I used white wires for both parts of the dome circuit I marked one side with black tape.  Once the headliner is in place I'll only see the wire for power under the dash.

post-1228-0-73797600-1368740232_thumb.jpg

post-1228-0-15434500-1368740249_thumb.jpg

ED

Yes I have.  I bought the Cashmere color (http://www.perfectfit.com/15308/154170/Bindings-Trims/Windlace--Automotive-Cloth-Covered.html)  15 Yards for $55 plus shipping.

I have so many parts and pieces ready to go - just not enough time.

Harold

Windlace question,.....

while working on my sound deadening project I found myself staring at the forward door jam and wondering,..."does the windlace flange get trapped between the end of the dash board and the door jam?"   Seems to make sense 'tho it also means I've gotta unbolt the dash in order slip the windlace flange between those two elements.  Is this a proper assumption? 

That doesn't sound right . An upholsterer shouldn't have to remove the dash to install new windlace . 

I keep staring at mine and have the same opinion.  The only way I can see to resolve it is to trim some the flange off the windlace and span that 8" without the flange being captured.  However,....I don't like that option as I'd expect the door closure to push the windlace out of alignment.

I haven't tried yet but I'm thinking that maybe just loosening the bolts that attach the dash at either end might yield a small gap that the windlace flange might slip into and be captured.

Bill I believe loosening the large screw that goes towards the outside of the car will get you enough of a gap. Perhaps a carefully applied pry might be required too.

I keep staring at mine and have the same opinion.  The only way I can see to resolve it is to trim some the flange off the windlace and span that 8" without the flange being captured.  However,....I don't like that option as I'd expect the door closure to push the windlace out of alignment.

I haven't tried yet but I'm thinking that maybe just loosening the bolts that attach the dash at either end might yield a small gap that the windlace flange might slip into and be captured.

Bill I believe loosening the large screw that goes towards the outside of the car will get you enough of a gap. Perhaps a carefully applied pry might be required too.

That's what I was thinking,..... anyone else  :confused:  

it makes the gap "pry able" the dash itself in this area has compound angle, bend and reinforcement that it is not a very giving area..as directly above and under the windshield garnish there are 7 mounting screws here.....the end of your wind lace tacking strip and the start of the cleats is approximately middle of the dash itself and can best be described by the top hinge cover plate as the divider point..the dash fit is a bit tight once the windlace is installed and you want to be careful to have a think substrate between the dash and wind lace when installing the other end depending on the end you insert first..DO pin the starting end of the dash with the 5/16 screw before going to the other side if working by yourself...

• 6 months later...

Just an update

Just tacked the windlace in place so I could take a look at what the panels are going to look like.  I think I'll continue with motor over the winter and hopefully I'll have all the the interior ready to install in the spring.

post-1228-0-86460400-1386117000_thumb.jpgpost-1228-0-13944400-1386117017_thumb.jpgpost-1228-0-17658300-1386117092_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Piling up parts and stuff to be installed in the spring, also received my headliner and and visors from WLS yesterday.  The color is "Sand", and maybe should be a little darker but I wanted a light color.

I haven't driven my car since July 2012, and I can't stand it anymore.  The high tomorrow is going to zero, so there's little chance I'll try to heat up an un-insulated garage.

post-1228-0-26629600-1424571023_thumb.jpg

post-1228-0-46144500-1424571054_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Being new here, I just found this thread.  Love to see the progression.  Gives me enthusiasm to start from scratch on mine.

Great job on the upholstery!  Very very nice.

• 1 year later...

How time flies when nothing gets done.

I brought out my original never installed floor mat.  I've now had it so long I don't remember when I bought it, and it looks worse every time I bring it out.

I had the mat outside in the heat a couple of times hoping it would soften the rubber, but I think the floor mat is just going to get a coating of spray rubber.

post-1228-0-52878500-1469576966_thumb.jpg

post-1228-0-38733300-1469576985_thumb.jpg

post-1228-0-90176600-1469577005_thumb.jpg

post-1228-0-36981200-1469577024_thumb.jpg