Insurance Again

_shel_ny

Another dead horse to beat.

Condon and Skelly (actually the new underwriters) raised the minimum policy premium last year. It makes the payment about 45% more than the actual cost of the insurance. Actually 53% if you don't include the NYS $10 per vehicle charge. Along with that they went from a $0 collision deductible to $100 deductible. Towing went from $10 to $50.  Last year I just went ahead and paid it. It isn't a bunch of money, just feels like someone is reaching in my pocket for extra cash. I suppose I can make myself feel better by upping my liability coverage. They are also a bit restrictive on vehicle usage.

I got mine from State Farm for 25/month. They asked if it was an antique, i repiied,"no, it's old". They asked if it was a collectable, I replied, "Not til someone wants to buy it." We put comp on it and nothing more. I fixed it one, I can do it again.

Paul....do you not have to have liability coverage along with comp??

My State Farm antique policy on the convert is now up to $88.65 for six months.  Includes liability, medical, comp and 

collision with $50 deducts, uninsured and under-insured motorist, and emergency road service.  Use is limited to a

couple thousand miles per year.  Car has to be in good condition......inside, outside and under the hood......to qualify

for the antique coverage at the reduced rate.  I know three or four guys who tried to put a fairly good, but not slick, 

old car on an antique policy......and the company would not accept them.  Photographs are required so

the underwriter can see just what the condition of the car is.   

My daily driver company (Geico) has a division for vintage. Would be more than Condon/Skelly. If I drove the car on a more frequent basis (2-3 times week), or longer distances, I would probably consider giving the gecko my money.

American Collectors politely told me that based on value/condition that I do not have enough class for them.

J C Taylor vehicle usage language is much the same as C/S. If the JCT quote holds when I delve into it deeper I will likely switch over.