Whatever Happened To Harry Truman's 1953 Chrysler??

BobT-47P15

I have just finished reading a book loaned by my sister-in-law entitled:  "Harry Truman's Excellent

Adventure.  The True Story of a Great American Road Trip."

In it, the author Matthew Algeo chronicles (former President) Harry and Bess Truman's trip

back to the East Coast via automobile, unattended by secret service or other security.  That

service had not been extended to former Presidents yet.  It was mid June of 1953, and they

rode in a new 1953 Chrysler New Yorker, black with chrome wire wheels.  Harry traded that

car in on a new 1955 Chrysler at a dealer in Independence, MO, where he lived.

It eventually dropped out of sight for many years, but was found by the author in 2010

on a farm in Kansas. 

I found this account on the internet, which is pretty close to what it says in the book.

Here's a link to that story, if anyone would want to read it.   

I found it interesting.....hope others do as well.

http://www.hnn.us/articles/138305.html

post-22-0-48129700-1364965715_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

While vacationing in Key West, Florida Lisa and I toured Trumans Key West home. If I recall there was a picture of that Chrysler in the house. Many Presidents have vacationed in that home Kennedy and Clinton to name a couple. Interesting story, thanks for sharing.

As mentioned, he travelled by private auto. Boonville, Mo. was probably 3 hours from his home and he always stopped in the cafe where my father's now girlfriend was a waitress. She's now in her 80's but is still proud that he always asked for her by name to be his waitress.

I'm guessing that these cars that are mentioned were parked outside at various times.

Pretty cool to see these historical things tied together.