Rear Bearing Broke....

46Dodgegirl
Go to solution Solved by Don Coatney,

Bummer....Now what???   Do you have a new one sourced?  Any damage to the housing?  I assume this was the side with no grease.....That's a nice axle puller .... I've got a similar one.

• Like 1

It's all apart and going to get new parts tomarrow. Its a 61-69 Chrysler rear end, so I should be able to find them. I hope....

I just bought it a year ago, so Im unsure what was done and what wasnt. Its a 318 motor, automatic tranny and a Chrysler broken rear bearing.

Im very glad that we had the Custom Puller today because it WAS NOT breaking loose, no matter how hard we used the "hand dandy" sledge hammer !

I know the previous original owner took very good care of it but it was soon past down to his kids, so unsure what was done. We are the 2nd owners.

j

Looks like the bearing got very hot and toasty! :lol:

• Like 1

Thats nothing! Dad and I bought a 66 Fury that had been driven until the wheel come out against the quarter. The few roller bearings we actually found were ground flat. Most came out as just metal dust.

Not bad. And it should be a 65 or up axle, tapered 5 lug stuff through 64. Mine failed on my 69 D100 in middle of nowhere (okay, Trementon) Utah during a cross country move. Idiot who rebuilt the rear end did not know the bearings were greased instead of splash lubricated. 2 days for parts to be sourced, ordered and arrive. Less than a day for the re-rebuild.

Nice truck.

• Like 1

yes Scruffy49,

I read your post when we were searching for a fix with this truck. I am confused with the axle grease/lubricant. First because, I just dont know theses things.. but I thought these type of bearings were

"greased" not oiled. But someone said no, its an oil based lubricant. ok.

Today I went to the mechanic to have it all fixed at itll be 350 for shocks, u-joints, brearings and labor. The bearings were $50.00 ea.

Im just excited itll be running by this weekend. April is our areas', Kool April nights week.

j

$50 each? Mopar Performance "green" conversion set that eliminates the adjusters? Ouch. If standard bearings join the Sweptline forum (sweptline.org) and look up setting the bearing/axle play... 8.75s with "normal" bearings are a bit of an odd duck. You have to adjust the axles, not just stab them in and bolt them up like a GM, Ford or Dana 44 rear end.

Good to hear it will be up and running this weekend. The re-rebuild on mine is still going strong 2 years later.

Yep. You'll usally find it on the passenger side. It has a dial with holes in it and a retaining clip. I'm wondering if your clip went missing and lossen everything up and destroyed the bearings. If everything is correct with your axle, you should have about 0.13 end play (set with a dial indicator. OR you can do like most weekend warriors and tap the non adjusting side in solid and turn the adjusting side in til there is no end play. THEN back it off about 4 knotches. The retaining clip looks like a pear shaped washer with a 90 degree "tooth" on the end. The clip is held in place by one of the 5 housing bolts with the tooth going into one of the holes in the dial (to retain the end play setting). When you're done, it should be near the 0.13 you want.

48D    

I just re-read your reply.....make sure your mechanic packed the bearings! They DO NOT make contact with the gear oil.

You may have missed what Scruf said in post #9:

"Idiot who rebuilt the rear end did not know the bearings were greased instead of splash lubricated"

You replied in post #10:

"but I thought these type of bearings were "greased" not oiled. But someone said no, its an oil based lubricant. ok."

So this tells me you may have missed the info that those bearing need to be packed with grease. Hopfully your mechanic is mopar savy.

48D

Thanks for that info, I personally wont be replacing it. I am only good with tearing things apart and losing the stuff that is needed. This time I organized everything-shock!!!

My mech works on a 46 power wagon, that has won so many trophies he doesnt show anymore. Its extremely nice! Hes experienced with this model so Im in good hands.

While Im waiting, I pulled the bumper off, replacing the rear lights and brackets with original. Cleaning everything up-lust of dirt over the years.

ALTHOUGH - while I was under there I found a threaded bolt attached to the frame, one directly on the other side, obviously something is supposed to be attached to them. I will upload a picture if I can.

I have just plywood for a bed, I was concidering taking that out too and just replace it with a nice piece of wood. I dont want to go original because I wont use it if I do. When I painted my Peterbilt, I didnt want to work it but was force to haha...Just how I roll!

Thanks for all this info!! j