1949 Wayfarer Covertible 241 Hemi Engine Swap

mboer70

I have two-thirds of that combination in my 53 Coronet - 241 Red Ram and 3.55 rear end.  The weak link (pun intended) is the Gyro-Torque transmission.  All are original to the car.  If I were looking for off-the-line performance, I'd be disappointed.  But the "coolness factor" makes it worth it all.  Besides, I have another car if I want to tear up the street.

All I know about the swap you're contemplating is that the steering will have to be modified due to the extra width of the V8 - not a small consideration.  Either way you go, the important thing is to be on the road.  Good luck.

I also concur that a 8.25" rear end is plenty stout,..... and 3.5:1 ratio perfect for an OD trans.  I have a 3.9:1, 8.25" in my coupe and it's a little low after experiencing the 3:55:1 in the wagon.

If you decide to build the Red Ram, you'll need to address the trans (as previously noted) so shift linkage needs to be considered, which plays into the column, which plays into the valve cover clearance.  Mopar mounted many of their engines off center to deal with that problem.  It's a legit option and will go unnoticed for the most part once the install is completed. 

Finally, the cautions offered by many, on this thread, are heartfelt and come from experience.  Take them into account.  On the other hand, if you choose to go big, do so with the knowledge that it will be a significant challenge.  The final reward however will be pushing the boundaries of the norm and realizing a special pride in the learning and doing what not many will attempt.

I also concur that a 8.25" rear end is plenty stout,..... and 3.5:1 ratio perfect for an OD trans.  I have a 3.9:1, 8.25" in my coupe and it's a little low after experiencing the 3:55:1 in the wagon.

If you decide to build the Red Ram, you'll need to address the trans (as previously noted) so shift linkage needs to be considered, which plays into the column, which plays into the valve cover clearance.  Mopar mounted many of their engines off center to deal with that problem.  It's a legit option and will go unnoticed for the most part once the install is completed. 

Finally, the cautions offered by many, on this thread, are heartfelt and come from experience.  Take them into account.  On the other hand, if you choose to go big, do so with the knowledge that it will be a significant challenge.  The final reward however will be pushing the boundaries of the norm and realizing a special pride in the learning and doing what not many will attempt.

I have the 8 1/4 in the 51 Suburban pushed by a EFI 3.9 and 4 speed automatic..I also have the 8 1/4 from a 2004 Dakota in the 48 Bz Cp...3.55 ratio...not ratio I wanted as I would have rather had the 8 3/4 3.23 but being a standard tranny..ring tone is needed...but it is stock match to the donor powertrain installed, as the donor is from the the factory I will always concede they know what they are doing..I expect better performance and a slight improvement in economy due to lighter vehicle and a bit more aerodynamically shaped body....

Don..don't hold back man..tell us what you really think...lol 

Stock otherwise???

I really like the wheels!

Great looking buy!!! Close to the appearance to chromed American Racing Original "style" Americans!

Everyone has an opinion!

Best to ya,

Doug

Well I like the wheels, that is what the guy had on it. They are American Racing wheels. The stock wheels with hub caps he put on his 37 Dodge pickup that he sold at the auction along side the wayfarer so this is all thatI have,  I  like both ways stock or these. other than the wheels the car is stock.the flat head 6 has a rod knock  This guy also has the 241 Hemi that was running when he pulled it out of a '53 dodge wagon, he wants $750 for motor and trans.  Think thats a good deal?

Edited by mboer70

I'll offer my 2¢... Just because the 241 is running does not mean that it is in good condition. Unless the engine has been rebuilt in the last 20 years it will, more than likely, need to be soon.  These engines are quite durable but the non-detergent engine oil in the 50's along with marginal oil filters has, no doubt, caused alot of wear (usually the camshaft) as well as being responsible for plugging up the rocker assemblies (more wear).

Yes, some folks get lucky. You can flush out as much old crap as you can and buy oil filters by the case but any damage will remain and the efficiency will be way down.

The $750 would be high to me but I place no value on the original trans. If you are set on using the trans then the price may be reasonable. Since you are doing a swap perhaps a newer trans may be a consideration unless you have access to a 53 v-8 donor car for the little bits and pieces.

Be sure to read through Pete's project fo tips and hints.

I agree with Wayfarer, $750.00 is way steep.  I'd say $300-$400 max in your neck of the woods.  Consider also a rebuild (I'm looking at that myself) will sneak up on $2K pretty quick.  However, I think you'd get close to that with the flat 6 anyway.

Trans is an issue too.  From a truck it's probably a manual with a granny gear 1st....not cool in a car.  If it's an automatic, they were a bad joke in 53,...essentally a Powerglide.  Adapting a 5spd manual or a newer auto trans is very doable and would make the car much more enjoyable to drive.

Keep us posted,....what ever you do.

Edited by mrwrstory

He said the 241 came out of a 53 wagon. Best bet here would be an overdrive. He could resell that get the hemi for free and have a couple 100 bucks left towards the adaptor for a more modern trans.

He said the 241 came out of a 53 wagon. Best bet here would be an overdrive. He could resell that get the hemi for free and have a couple 100 bucks left towards the adaptor for a more modern trans.

Okay, forgot the wagon part.  If there's a manual in the convertible or the wagon, you're not as bad off.  If either is an OD manual,  then you could stick with that and have one issue resolved.

Well maybe I can get him down a little on the motor and trans, and I do believe the trans with the hemi is an OD trans. I would want to rebuild the hemi before sticking it in the car but either way I have to rebuild the flathead or the hemi.  I'm leaning towrds the hemi, but I will see if will take less.

Edited by mboer70

I have a 276 Desoto hemi in my 1940 Chrysler Coupe.

I have a rack and pinion steering.

The whole chassis is boxed front to rear.

I used the rubber pad type engine mounts off a "Landrover Discovery"

I have fitted a "Borgwarner" diff 3.23.1 ratio.

The engine will run on L.P.G. I think you blokes call it "propane".

It can be done.

Mick.

mboer70

Check out this thread on the hotrodders.com site. I put together a list of parts sources / info for a guy looking to build a flathead. All the info I included is available on this forum but not so much flathead info on the other forum. So, I combined it in a single post for him. Hope this helps.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/source-mopar-flat-head-6-performance-parts-205599.html

• Like 1

mboer70

Check out this thread on the hotrodders.com site. I put together a list of parts sources / info for a guy looking to build a flathead. All the info I included is available on this forum but not so much flathead info on the other forum. So, I combined it in a single post for him. Hope this helps.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/source-mopar-flat-head-6-performance-parts-205

Thanks for posting this link. I last posted there 10 years ago ih 2003 but I find that I am still a member.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mopar-flat-6-ignition-upgrade-28823.html

htt

• 1 month later...