Painted Pinstripe Removal

kbuhagiar

Hello Folks,

My 2001 Ford F150 Lightning pickup has a painted pinstripe (applied by the previous owner) applied all along the top of the body line. Over the years it has become faded, and in some spots it has completely disappeared.

The original factory red paint is otherwise in excellent condition.

I would like to remove the remainder of the pinstripe - is this something I could do, perhaps with careful use of polishing/rubbing compound?

Thanks in advance!

Eastwood sells a pinstripe remover wheel. It is similar to an eraser on a pencil. You attach it to a drill and just go lightly over the stripe and it removes it.

If you use compound , you have to be very careful not to rub thru the paint underneath.

Eastwood sells a pinstripe remover wheel. It is similar to an eraser on a pencil. You attach it to a drill and just go lightly over the stripe and it removes it.

If you use compound , you have to be very careful not to rub thru the paint underneath.

Hello sunsetdart, I am aware of that tool, but I was under the impression that it was for tape/adhesive striping only. I will check it out once again.

Thanks!

Try some lacquer thinner on a soft cloth.  Rubbing compound will knock down the clear coat around the stripe.  Try the thinner on an area that doesn't show to make sure it won't effect the stock paint, it usually won't.  Or you could use 1200 wet sand paper, then rebuff the area when the stripe is gone.  1200 will be less aggressive than most available rubbing compounds.