1947 Dodge Truck

Hello,

Been searching high and low, went to several shops, called around, including "vintage powerwagon" ......and they all say I need to rebuild my steering box.

It must be pulled and sent off to rebuilder. With that said, one of the guys states the steering wheel itself might break all apart and may not be repairable. Geez...cuz they said I cant buy a repoduction, theyre not available. Id have to buy a used one and Ive never seen a used one, during my year of searching. So my question is,

has anyone gone through this and been successful? The last thing I want is my truck down for a month or 2 and no steering wheel on the planet, I drive it everyday. Any advice will help out.

I had 2 real good shops in town look underneath/front end and theyve all said the truck is in good shape- its the steering box.

Thanks for the help

Why are they saying your steering wheel will deteriorate when removed?? As long as you remove it properly with a puller it shouldn't be harmed. Even if you do chip it up some you can fill it in and repaint. I think Larez is the place to go for steering box rebuilds. As for the puller there is a guy on ebay selling repro ones designed for jeeps that he told me he could cut the center to the proper size for a dodge.

There was a thread on here awhile back on steering wheel pulling.    I think there is also a how-to in the tech section on steering boxes.  Steering wheels and sttering boxes can be had if you find the box beyond repair.  They won't normally just show up.  You'll have to ask for them.  Salvage yards that have PH's  or your series may have them on a parts truck.

As stated earlier if you use the right puller it is not a big deal. Then disconnect the pitman arm (you will need a puller), horn wire and unbolt from the frame. Disconnect at the dash and slide out through the bottom. Good idea to have a helper inside to help guide it out after removing the dash bracket.

Truck Steering Wheel Puller

Thanks for the replies. My steering wheel is cracked pretty good already and one of the mechanics said it might crack even more and fall apart, a gamble. He works on a "show" dodge powerwagon here in town. I checked Larez, they dont go back to 1947 in their catalog.

Edited by 46Dodgegirl