• 5 months later...

neighbor got a bee in his bonnet and has been actually bugging me to work on the roof!  Last night I English Wheeled for the first time!  Still a little crown to add but maybe in the next 2 weeks I'll have the roof all done!

2017-01-17 19.42.47.jpg

2017-01-17 19.43.01.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Looks like you need to put the doors into a couple of bacon stretchers.............

No I need to build the rear doors...and floor and firewall...and and and....

• 3 weeks later...

Nice progress.  That should have stiffened to roof considerably.  What the plan of attack?  Finish welding and grinding the center section,  hammer and dolly where needed while you still have good access to the center or fill the ends before finishing the center, then dolly the entire section?

My neighbor is a HUGE help in this...he runs a hotrod shop and is helping me learn because it's "FUN"!  So I'm getting pro help with no real cost.  I'm helping him with some stuff at his shop electrical wise and have done some wood parts for him for older rods.  I will also cut him a killer deal on soem woodwork his wife wants done.

We are H&D-ing as we go.  I need to grind down the welds as they are right now (3x on each spot) before we H&D again.  Then back to welding.  Plan is to finish the center section before buttoning up the sides. Roof has stiffened up nicely. All the supports have been removed and it's sitting by itself.  No oil canning anymore, nice and firm.  I'll have to run some bracing at some point anyway (prolly srewed in) for the headliner and that can help beef the roof up like the panel trucks.  

Once the roof is done I can take the knowledge I've learned and start on the floor and door sill sections.  THOSE can get a little messed up and not be such an issue. Last to be done on the cab will be the doors.  The firewall rebuild will fall between the floor and doors.  With the floor and firewall work I'll be much more prepared to tackle the issues around the doors. 

The doors will need to be "flayed" out lower rear as I've widened and lengthened the cab and that has LOTS of potential issues to resolve.  Tim and I have talked a bit on this already off-line.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got the center section all welded in and ground down.  Some dolly work and on to the sides!  At this rate in May I'll have the floor and firewall done too!  Here's hoping!

20170226_163644.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Top all hammered and dollied.  Sides formed and tacked in.  Now the stich tacks and in process dolly work to complete!

20170312_162224.jpg

20170312_162210.jpg

20170312_162201.jpg

• Like 7

"I have limited space in my garage to put a beast like this in, so sadly, the size of my garage will limit the size of this truck. This will be my 3+ season daily driver when it's done, so I have to deal with reality. I will relish the challenge of this project when I can sink my teeth into it more!"

March 12, 2013 by ggdad1951 .................................................................................................

Dude....I'm lovin his truck...I'm happy you've got a friend to show you the skills needed to pull this kinda build.... and

I'm betting The 2020 Luau will be TODD's first road trip....but I also bet the 2022 Clements Tailgate BBQ will be its longest road trip!! lol

Reread the whole thread and enjoyed the fact you are still on the original path you chose...good work my friend!

48D   

Edited by 48Dodger

• 5 months later...

Well, wood projects wrapping up for the winter.  After almost a year, I'm getting back to TODD.  Last night I cut all the bracing out I had in for the roof build.  Now I can weld in new bracing so I can cut the floor out.  Then I will weld in new sill beams (2 X 4 x .125 tubular steel you can see them laying in the cab) and some cross members.  Hopefully in Feb I will be pulling the 94 into the shop and start tear down so I can get the cab set this spring.  Sure opens the cab up inside!

20180116_165917.jpg

20180116_165936.jpg

20180116_165927.jpg

• Like 5