• 6 months later...

Good to see you back at TODD. Be sure to check the weld penetration since you have good access to the back side for a visual. Grinding the primer off where the welds go will help with the penetration and make the welding easier.

On 2/21/2016 at 8:25 PM, Dave72dt said:

Good to see you back at TODD. Be sure to check the weld penetration since you have good access to the back side for a visual. Grinding the primer off where the welds go will help with the penetration and make the welding easier.

backside penetration

20160221_223318_zpsgi7te2md.jpg

Ok, those will hold. Looks like some additional welding has been done since the first pic, too.

Yes this is the back after outside grind and finding holes. I did a couple of welds on the back in thin areas to beef it up. I debate about grinding the back...lots of work and thins things again...Tim wants me to glass the inside. I do want to run some horizontal braces to attach interior panels too.

I'd knock the high spots down, you don't have to get into the parent metal, spray some epoxy on ,it since that will get into any pinholes you may have missed and then skim some short strand over it. But that's just me. Tim's your man on the spot and if he says glass it, he must be doing that method himself and it's working. Lots of ways to do it.

• Like 1

If you can imagine pin holes in the welds from the inside surface to the outside.....then imagine moisture/contaminates etc. passing through the pinholes....then think of the outside surfaced covered in body filler and paint.

As the pinholes pull air in with moisture/etc. In the worse case scenario, the outside might develop a bubble or weak surface tension from the delamination of the body filler and paint. Fiberglass is waterproof and has the resin to seal that weld up. Plus it gets hard as a rock reduces flexing (just a side benefit of course). Body filler does not like water...it just don't! I seal up 99 percent of anything I weld with Fiberglass. Check my 73 Dart link and see how I do it.

Tim aka 48Dodger

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

this weekend's work.  I took apart the window top part so I can keep the seam by rewelding it all back together in the order it was first assembled.  Welding wasn't totally done when I took the pictures, but during a (of many) cool down break.  Weldign on the inside makes the ouside weld dressing easier, but it sure is a PITA!

20160306_135126_zpsaw9kesjs.jpg

20160306_161124_zpsx4chfhl4.jpg

20160306_161130_zpsvo9ipodu.jpg

• Like 2

Patience!!!!!!!!!!!!, I took a welding night course at a local tech a few years ago after my dad (my welder man) died. 

My instructor told me to keep building with wood because I lack patience. 

Great job, it will be very cool when completed.

• 1 month later...

Swapping out the dash pods?  Nice progress.  Just no way to hurry the welding process.  Glad you're posting the pics here as well.  I and others don't do FB

• Like 1