Guess The Part - Mystery Key Fob

kbuhagiar

Hello Folks,

I just purchased a 1996 Mercury Cougar with only 35,000 miles (neighbor down the street passed away).

While cleaning out the trunk, I came across this:

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

It is inscribed with US Patent number 4303966, and the circuit board is stamped '1415'.

The previous owner went through great pains to stash this - it was sealed in plastic, wrapped in a paper bag, taped up and then hidden under the trunk mat underneath the spare tire in the tire well.

It appears to be some sort of dongle with a tiny flashlight. The light doesnt work, but I can't seem to find any way to open it up to change the battery.

My curiousity is piqued; anybody out there have any idea what this may be?

Thanks in advance!

security gate?  Did the neighbor have a high security job?  Maybe some fancy safe deposit box, mail drop at one of those Non Post office mail places, Do you have any of those gas stations in the area that are accessible when they are closed?  Used to be some AGWAY stations around here where if you were a member you could access gas 24/7.  Gym locker.    Did you ask the relatives???

Found this using google: http://www.google.com/patents?id=jAgQAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Still not sure what it is though! 

Thank you Joe.

The first thing I did was a Google search on that patent number but I did not get any satisfactory results on the first few pages...I'm curious, what did you use as your search criteria?

security gate?  Did the neighbor have a high security job?  Maybe some fancy safe deposit box, mail drop at one of those Non Post office mail places, Do you have any of those gas stations in the area that are accessible when they are closed?  Used to be some AGWAY stations around here where if you were a member you could access gas 24/7.  Gym locker.    Did you ask the relatives???

Hello Greg,

I think you may be on to something. He worked for a hazardous waste transportation company, and was on call 24/7 up until a couple of years ago.

That key may be to the security gate at the corporate yard, or perhaps to the company fueling station.

Thank you Joe.

The first thing I did was a Google search on that patent number but I did not get any satisfactory results on the first few pages...I'm curious, what did you use as your search criteria?

I found a US patent number search and punched it in there and found it. Took me about 2 minutes...I got lucky!