How Clean Is Your Underside

55 Fargo

Hey, was checking today for brake fluid leaks on my 47, gravel road dust, and some surface rust on some things, gettin dirty under there.

This si always an endless task of trying t5o keep this undercarriage clean on a gravel road, and in this type of climate.

How fussy are some of you Guys, I am going to wash, do more primer and undercoating again, these vehicle are an ongoing maintenance, reminds me of a boat owners maintenance program.

Do some of you Guys keep the underside, clean and painted over time?

I agree, underside should look decent if the upperside is nice and shiny like.

I most likely will be washing and doing some more primer,paint or rockerguard under this car. The gravel road is brutal, and makes a mess of things quick, just like when these cars were new.....

Whew! I guess that lets me off the hook.

Chris in order for you to be period compliant.....liberally apply used motor oil to the whole undercarriage and drive up and down gravel/dirt roads until the bottam looks like a gummy mosaic!

It will never rust again. That is what happened in the long ago when oil was used to keep dust down on country roads........The original undercoatney.

• Like 1

Chris in order for you to be period compliant.....liberally apply used motor oil to the whole undercarriage and drive up and down gravel/dirt roads until the bottam looks like a gummy mosaic!

It will never rust again. That is what happened in the long ago when oil was used to keep dust down on country roads........The original undercoatney.

Yup, have cleaned some of this good stuff off of undercarriages. The $hit they use now, magnesium chloride, will rust your undercarriage.......

...liberally apply used motor oil to the whole undercarriage and drive up and down gravel/dirt roads until the bottom looks like a gummy mosaic!

Been there done that... photos below taken in the Utah desert, Nov 2008, with preliminary oil distribution courtesy of a leaky rear seal and draft tube blowby.

post-1019-0-10387600-1363009001_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-65968600-1363009114_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When I cleaned the underside of my car I found some surface rust. I came across a product in Hemmings called Miracle Paint. I applied it and it has held up for over 10 years. no more rust. I also did inside the wheel wells and no chips from rocks or stones.

When I cleaned the underside of my car I found some surface rust. I came across a product in Hemmings called Miracle Paint. I applied it and it has held up for over 10 years. no more rust. I also did inside the wheel wells and no chips from rocks or stones.

Hey Chuck, do you drive on gravel roads much? I would like to see a product that handles gravel blasting, in key areas. I have tried primer, paint and rubberized undercoating, but certain areas get stone blasted off.

I just washed by bucket and wash clothes, the underside of my car. The rusty metal primer and rust paint is holding up very well, except in areas where gravel has permeated the substrate, which is only a small amount, but will touch those areas up, and thinking of rhino coating the inner wheel wells....

Been there done that... photos below taken in the Utah desert, Nov 2008, with preliminary oil distribution courtesy of a leaky rear seal and draft tube blowby.

Chris, that is exactly what my road is like, in summer, or even winter, when things are dry, or after a fresh grading.

The same, minus the mountains and dessert terrain...........LOL

Back in the days when there were gravel roads down here all of the family members when ever they bought a new car they would take the door panels off. Take some old oil spray inside the doors and all around under the car, behind the chrome, headlights and where ever there was a hole. Drive it down the shell or dirt road and the oil would make the dust stick to the metal. Making a nice coat of under layment where water couldn't get to the metal in the door or the underside. Cars always lasted years and years without rust. Did this at least every five years or so. May not look as nice as a show room look but don't have to worry about rust and that was always a concern. Now down here we have no dirt roads or any shell roads anymore so you have to use other methods.

got a new point and shoot..snapped these..close to putting on the last coat of undercoating..got to do something about the driveshafrt yet also...

looks good Tim, but how is that tree holding up the car...

by producing pecans which have a good retail value that is converted to cash which buys the lift that hoists the car in the shop that Tim built..

Nuthin like a "Cash Crop", glad your not growing Marijuana or anything.

• 2 years later...

You get them too pretty underneath then you have to clean and wax the undersides!

post-302-0-27891600-1427244305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

That does look nice!  My problem is that I have no pecan trees and therefore no extra cash to but a lift, even if I had a place to put it.  Although I have a huge metal building with a dirt floor, but cement isn't cheap either.

I'm hoping that once the car is running, I can find an old garage that still has the lift in the floor, and maybe use it on weekends or something.