Pilot House Clock

Well, I finally got 'er done. Thanks to Keven's help my long time dream to create a clock from a spare speedo has come true. This has been in the works in my head for several years, but I didn't have a good source for someone to create the clock face from a speedo face. Keven came to the rescue and got it done. I had gutted my spare speedo and cut the back, center raised portion, off. I did a little shopping on the internet and got a clock movement with a long shaft. This one has a smooth movement rather than a stepping, ticking, movement. I didn't use a second hand with it though.

Here is the movement and a couple sets of hands that I got with it.

9162A823-0E7B-4191-9596-9F42520B8A6C-556

I made up a mounting plate to attach to the inside of the speedo housing and installed it with some spacers to get everything orentated properly. I also had to make up some spacers to go between the mount plate and the face, including a rubber spacer knotched to clear the original face mounting screw dimples.

FA08EDE9-673F-47AF-85D7-0210B0A839AE-556

4D6A5465-024A-4364-A2EB-37B24481C17E-556

1E212EC3-9309-49A5-B0F8-F64847AE575B-556

A43364C2-B6C8-458D-9012-2AB2307DB211-556

I think it turned out pretty good. The hard part was figuring out how to mount everything with the proper spacing. I would have liked to bring it a little closer to the lens, but the clock shaft it pretty close to the glass. All in all I think it turned out pretty well.

551DCD12-F746-412B-8E85-F496279CC337-556

41257314-E9B9-43EA-857A-739A0D1C4394-556

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 4

I also appreciate the way you made the face and hands to look like a factory accessory clock.You are very skilled. Excellent job!

Merle;

That really looks first class!  :D 

I am actually planning on doing something similar in my '52. I had Keven print up a clock face last year.

Thought I would just remove the mesh from the speaker grille and do a build up behind that. But I really like the speedo face. You have given me some good ideas for this.

Jeff

Thanks guys. I'm glad you all like it. It's good to finally this this idea out of my head and functioning in my truck.

I also appreciate the way you made the face and hands to look like a factory accessory clock.You are very skilled. Excellent job!

That was the whole idea here. I wanted it to match the speedo, with the same number font and such. Once again, a BIG Thank You to Keven for making that happen. For the hands, I looked at several styles online, but didn't have a lot of choices for this size. That other set pictured, that I didn't use, could have been cut to length if I thought they would have worked. But the shorter set looked best. I just had to paint them white.

Looks great ,do you have to remove it to changre the battery ????

Fred

I don't think so. I haven't tried it yet, but I should be able to reach up behind the dash to change the battery. I did use an Energizer Lithium battery, so it should be a while before it needs changing.

That's awesome Merle!!

How did you overcome the 'window' for the odometer and the two mounting holes?

They're a pain to install, aren't they!!!! :)

Yes, the decals are a pain to install smoothly on these faces. It ain't perfect, but good enough. The odo window and screw dimples do show as slight depressions in the face, but it's not all that noticable behind the hands. The pictures don't show it, although you can see the light scratch I put in it in the one picture. :mad:

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

Wow!  What a nice looking clock.  I've got an extra speedo...  I'll have to do this too.  In case I missed it - where did you get the clock?

Jim, I have extra speedo housings. Please don't ruin a complete speedo, I'll buy it from you.  :) 

• 2 months later...

By making a contribution to Keven's bank account I had my clock face and speedometer personalized. They look much better in reality than in the pictures. Thank you Keven. Nice work.  I also got my first decal, now where to put it. Maybe put it in a sign that says, "My other car is a Pilot-House!

NESpeedo_zps3fdbba1d.jpg