Vent Window Elimination

tombstone

The economy line Plymouth Roadking models offered till the early 40's didn't always have vent windows (some do). You will see this on a google image search and old brochures. That being said, the top of the doors/ windows of 1940's and 1948's are very similar.

Usually the vent windows are deleted and the windshield is changed to one piece or two piece with no center bar on

customs and street rods.  There might be answers to that on the HAMB as there are more of the aforementioned

type cars there......and those guys have done about anything you can name.

Looks like they've done that on this blue coupe......

And on the yellow one.

post-22-0-61665100-1362859788_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-59331500-1362860057_thumb.jpg

First a disclaimer: Everyone does to his likes and that's it. I'm cool whatever...

BUT

Never understood removing the center post of the windshield nor removing the vents.

Those features are part of the period thrill.

Gosh, I'd ADD a center post to a 1953 car if my skills would allow it.

Further,

What's better than riding your side windows down in the summer flipped vent windows open to guide the breeze out...?

• Like 3

anyone remove the vent windows on a 48 ply. coupe? how do you remove them and make the door glass come all the way to the A pillar? What is needed for the front of the door glass? any help would be great.

Google or whatever search engine you use : "vent window elimination kits"

Lots of places to look. Juliano offer a kit and if you look at the kit they have install instructions online.

Best to ya,

Doug

I removed the vent windows on my 50 Ply wagon. I also am having a split windshield put in with a seamed center with no divider. On the wagon, the new front driver/passenger windows have a piece of metal in the door that is integral to the structure and hinge. The guys doing the glass have had to notch the glass in the front mainly because of the top being chopped 4 inches. But it is coming out and should have the glass done this coming Thursday. The rear side glass is already in and is a smoked glass.

post-3006-0-04519500-1362869730_thumb.jpgpost-3006-0-48961600-1362869747_thumb.jpgHere's mine. I'm very pleased with how it looks and how it works.

The post between the side window and vent window includes the track that guide3s the side glass down into the door. That will need to be removed and a new track installed toward the front of the door. I could have done that mod but asked the glass guy to do it because he was so reasonable. You may want to do a little body work where the post intersects the top of the window opening and on the garnish molding. There are little reliefs for the poast.

As several have said, there are kits for doing this job. I would caution about going with the cheapest kit. Chinese motors have a tendency to be fragile and repairing or replacing them is not an option.

I removed the vent windows on my 50 Ply wagon. I also am having a split windshield put in with a seamed center with no divider. On the wagon, the new front driver/passenger windows have a piece of metal in the door that is integral to the structure and hinge. The guys doing the glass have had to notch the glass in the front mainly because of the top being chopped 4 inches. But it is coming out and should have the glass done this coming Thursday. The rear side glass is already in and is a smoked glass.

Don't see any pics?!

I too have a 50 ply. wagon, eliminated the sliding pass. window and made it one piece but, i love my vent windows, so they stayed. I was pushed to chop it but i like it as is. Mopar lids on these appear to be lower than the other brands. Also, did i mention that a chopped top is beyond my skillset? No money to pay others! I did elect to get rid of the windshield divider for a cleaner look! Not done yet as the wagon is way back on the burner (off).

Lets see some pics on a new topic as to not steal this post!

Thanks,

Doug

• 7 years later...
On 3/9/2013 at 4:56 PM, mrwrstory said:

post-3006-0-04519500-1362869730_thumb.jpgpost-3006-0-48961600-1362869747_thumb.jpgHere's mine. I'm very pleased with how it looks and how it works.

The post between the side window and vent window includes the track that guide3s the side glass down into the door. That will need to be removed and a new track installed toward the front of the door. I could have done that mod but asked the glass guy to do it because he was so reasonable. You may want to do a little body work where the post intersects the top of the window opening and on the garnish molding. There are little reliefs for the poast.

As several have said, there are kits for doing this job. I would caution about going with the cheapest kit. Chinese motors have a tendency to be fragile and repairing or replacing them is not an option.

Thats looks great, where did you get the windows or just  custom cut?