51 Truck

Husker

I see a lot of frame swaps for these old girls.  How sturdy is the original frame?  Is it a good candidate for an aftermarket front suspension upgrade?  the reason I ask is my buddy has the truck in the link for sale and I kind of like the old girl.  Trying to sell my 64 Ford F100 so I can buy it before it sells.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774720

Edited by Husker

First off, welcome!!!

The frame is stout enough for modification.

Search 'suspension' in this forum for a lot of useful info.

That's not a '51. :)

It's a '48-'50. If the parking brake is on the floor it's a '48 or '49. If it's on the dash, it's a '50.

There is also a kit to add discs to the original front axle. Swap in a Jeep Grand Cherokee rear axle 

for rear disc brakes.

Keven

That's not a '51. :)

It's a '48-'50. If the parking brake is on the floor it's a '48 or '49. If it's on the dash, it's a '50.

I could be like mine, a B2 (1950 model) built late in the year and delivered and sold in '51, and licenced as such. My B-2-C is registered as a '51, but I call it a '50 because I know better.

Merle 

Interesting truck. Why does it appear that the drivers seat is off-set towards the center of the truck?

Acoording to what's written on the HAMB link, the seats are not mounted yet.

It is titled as a 51, probably a late run.  You are correct, drivers seat is just sitting there, I moved it as I looked for any hidden bad stuff which I didn't find. The whole downer on the truck is that darn 302 engine!  I keep seeing a late model Hemi under the hood if I end up owning it lol.

Just about every MOPAR owner can see a Hemi under the hood if they can get one.  The 302 isn't a bad engine choice for a transplant.  Light in weight, about the same physical size as the SB Chev, has the distributor up front instead of at the back, lots of aftermarket parts available, can make very good power, OD trans readily availble.  It's biggest problem is the oil filter location and a remote can take care of that.

I have never looked under it to see what may have been done. It has been upgraded with power brakes so who knows. What really impresses me on this old girl is how straight it is for such an old truck.

I am a Dodge man first and just could not live with a Ford under the hood if I end up with it lol!

Simple problem, simple solution. Buy it, pull the Ford running gear, swap siad gear with someone tired of fighting with hard to reach A and LA rear mount points fired frustration inducers.

The A and LA small blocks are good little engines, but why Mopar had to follow the lead of the General Mistake Corporation (and the old Ford Y block) is beyond me.

I catch a ton of flak on the Sweptline board because I'd rather have a 352-390 and a C6 than a 318/727... bad back and rear mount dizzy do not a good combination make...

Help me here guys, I can buy the truck as it sits for $4500. Is that a fair price?

Husker,

Personally I would want an un-messed with truck as a starting point. If you think his modifications are what you would do then I'd say go for it.  It's easy to drop 10, 15 or 20 grand into a truck depending on how much of it you do yourself and what level you want to get your truck to.  Even recently I've see complete trucks in good shape (motor intact but not running) go for less than $1,000. $4,500 is a high starting point IMNSHO.

Good Luck either way,

Hank :)  

I always ask myself "have you done your homework"  meaning in your case you live in South Dakota (not LA like me) I'd bet there are more field and barn finds there than here.  If you must have that truck set a limit say $3,000 and trust the King of Pilothouses to either make it happen of not.  I myself would rather spend some time driving through the countryside looking.  Don't be in such a hurry to take on roughly the next 2 years rebuilding a truck. Hey if you just have to be riding in an old pickup for the summer and think this is the ticket..then if it doesn't really make a difference if it's $3,000 or $4.500, then I'll tell you what my boss Mike said "You only live once".

Ask yourself what are your plans with it?

Hank  :)

It is a lot of money but the pictures don't do it justice.  I need to make my mind up and go forward.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up and want someone to verify it.  I myself wouldn't buy a completed vehicle, prefer to start from scratch.

There's a lot ot be said for starting with a vehicle in really good condition.  Not spending time and money patching rusty panels gets you further down the road sooner.  Yu're the only one who's seen it in person.  I would hope to get that much out of a vehicle that needs very little to enjoy driving it.

Edited by Dave72dt

If it were me i'd check the frame see if it's been boxed or not, if not check it very closely chances are its cracked or bent if its been run hard these frames were not built for all that power.As far as the price its worth what your comfortable with the truck has some real potential.      Butch

• 5 months later...

So I flipped my 64 ford, then flipped a 65 ford to another guy who wanted the 64. Then I picked up a 58 apache that I flipped last week. Now I own this old dodge finally! 

Got the old girl running, working on the brakes now as she has a few leaks. I need to mount the seats and add some safety belts and I will be cruising. Where do I go with this one? No idea now but at least I have her to work on now.

• Like 1