How Is This Snow Storm Hitting You?

pflaming

Although from the Buffalo, NY area, I'm attending some training at the FBI Academy in Quantico, VA.  The Federal Govt. is "closed" for the day in Washington, D.C., and the Quantico Marine Corps Base is closed, too.  Being from western NY, I could easily make disparaging comments about this state of affairs, since the weather here would amount only to "annoying" back home, but I know folks around here aren't set up to handle this stuff and its far safer to cancel the day than to make people take the risk of trying to get to work.  We were supposed to go out for a 5-mile challenge run this morning, but looks like that won't be happening (drat?).  I'll have to figure out what to do with an unplanned free day far from home and stuck in the dorms.  Might have to resort to studying.....

Edited by Dan Hiebert

The problem is it's so "pretty" we just stop and stare at it. It's so wonderful and angelic we just stop in our tracks ;)  plus it's a great way to get out of work. :rolleyes: i'm gonna try to hook up my headlight relay this morning if you see a large cloud of smoke you know I made a mistake :o

Rodney;

Looks like you are getting into and not out of work. Is your new garage heated?

8-12" of new white stuff predicted for central Mass tonight. Weekend is supposed to by sunny and 50f. I dont think I am even going to bother to shovel.

My rule for snow in March is whoever put it here is in charge of getting rid of it.  So far I have only one exception to that and it was just to get through the stuff the snow plow left in the end of my driveway.   Last week the local weather station recorded 86 consecutive hours of falling snow.  Total accumulation was 1.5 inches.  We are not in the path of either today's event or the one that is supposed to follow it. So far we are about 40 inches behind average.

I'm visiting Hagerstown Maryland. We had 3 or 4 inches with more on the way today. The roads are clear but lots of government offices are closed. I am looking forward to a return to California.

Nothing accumulated here as of yet. I did see what appeared to be flakes coming down a little while ago, but they were miniscule. We are experiencing some pretty good gusts of wind though, so I am hoping for the best here.

Every year I put the snowblower away around the 1st week of March. Then it will not snow anymore and spring is on the way. They predicted we were going to get 2-4 inchs and we got nothing. I should be a weatherman.

As a matter of fact how would anyone here like to have a job where you can be wrong half the time and still make big bucks?.......lol

ppffttt...6-12" and people freak out East.  We had a 10"+ storm Tuesday NIGHT and I went to work Wed AM with no issues....then again I know how to drive a rear wheel drive in snow, which in of itself is a lost art these days.  I don't think living in MinneSNOWta makes any difference does it?

ggdad, there is a big misconception that all weather tires and 4WD can go anywhere. The very best snow car I ever owned when living in Omaha, NE was a 1958 VW with true snow tires. That smooth bottom body, the rear engine, the thin tires and that as a true snow car.

Keep the reports coming, they really give one a better sense of how we live in our individual environs.

• Like 1

ggdad, there is a big misconception that all weather tires and 4WD can go anywhere. The very best snow car I ever owned when living in Omaha, NE was a 1958 VW with true snow tires. That smooth bottom body, the rear engine, the thin tires and that as a true snow car.

Keep the reports coming, they really give one a better sense of how we live in our individual environs.

oh SOOO true!  Look! I have a AWD or 4X4, I can drive like an idiot and think I can do anything!  As I go by them in the ditch with my RWD pickup!  I leanrded to drive on snow/ice back in HS by doing donuts in the school parking lot and knowing how to get out of it...now....lost art.

Mark's right. I drove my 2x4 dakota through that same stuff without issue. I don't know about Mark but I don't have snow tires either. Just Cooper all season tires.

I did my Driver's Education, "Behind the Wheel" training in the winter time, through snow sometimes. I've never had an issue with winter driving. I do have a 4X4 truck, with all season tires, but many times I don't even use the 4WD unless it gets nasty.

I got a new company truck in December (2013 F150) and it has sway and traction control. That takes all the fun out of winter. It won't let you do donuts or power slides around corners. As soon as the tires break traction and the front wheels are turned from center, the ABS system starts applying the brakes and the truck straightens right out. It's no wonder noone knows how to drive in snow anymore. They're trying to make vehicles that take the skill out of driving.

Merle

We've got 15" is some spots.  This is looking at the side of my small back porch, been coming down with no wind for a while now.  At least we still have power(knock on wood).

post-681-0-69201600-1362766669_thumb.jpg