48 Dodge - Original Rear Axel?

Hawkeye

I'm thinking my rear axle may not be original.

According to my shop manual and parts list book, there should be a fill plug on the rear of the differential housing.   My fill plug is on the diff carrier.     Also, the rear differential housing is a perfect dome shape on my car, the literature shows it is shaped around the gear.

There is also a bracket on the passenger side, circled, that does not seem to be needed on my '48 coupe.     That bracket looks like it may interfere with the shock, if it did not, it would be really close.

Another thing that seemed odd when I got the car, the shocks were hanging, not attached to the springs.    The bottom bracket of the shock absorbers were missing.    Almost like they were hacked off and the car was run without rear shocks.   Maybe the shocks were disconnected because there was interference with the bracket?

What do you think??

RearAxel2A_zpsd0e7ce57.jpg

RearAxel1A_zps118e96a3.jpg

Edited by IowaMark

That looks like the bracket that the 46-48 Chryslers have for their Panhard rod..........just a guess........andyd  

I think your rear axle is stock even with the transverse strut bracket! Two types of transverse struts were used on the D24 Dodge cars.

Bob

Bob, Andy,

Thanks for your replies.

Also, to all who read the post, thanks for not getting after me for the misspelling in the title!     I do know how to spell axle.    And, being Norwegian, I know that Axel is a name.   But, sometimes I type faster than I think.

I searched the forum for panhard and found some more good information.    Looks like some D-24's had them, some did not.    I'll have to keep my eyes open for one.

Mark

The converts, Limo's  and 7 passenger cars had the straight transverse rod with a built in shock absorber at one end. All others had a transverse strut rod with a kinda big curved hoop in it at one end without the shock damper unit. same as DeSoto's and Chryslers. Your frame on the drivers side should have a stud there staight above the axle housing to mount one end of this strut or swaybar assembly. As for the oil fill plug missing from the rear of the axle housing-most 1941-8 cars had it there, possibly your car is a real late 1948 car as in 1949 the plug is in the differential carrier case as you have.

I think your car was at one time owned by a "hack" owner!

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Robert KB has pictures of the big curved hoop transverse strut on one of his cars or is it Chris?

Not me. I don't think Chris Bamford does either as his car is also a Dodge D25. I have the gravel guards for the shock absorbers that are a bit unusual. Maybe you were thinking of them??

DSCN5357.jpg

Edited by RobertKB