Ot-Just Interesting A 1948 Tv!

JIPJOBXX

This television set, retailing for $100, is reportedly the first moderately priced receiver manufactured in quantity. Rose Clare Leonard watches the screen, which reproduces a 5x7 image, as she tunes in at the first public post-war showing at a New York department store, on August 24, 1945. Although television was invented prior to World War II, the war prevented mass production. Soon after the war, sales and production picked up, and by 1948, regular commercial network programming had begun

1st one I remember was an Admiral 13 inch.  We got CBS and NBC, that was it.  I think it was in 1952 that my folks got it when they moved from a rented apartment to a house they bought.  If I looked through my mother's folder of stuff I could probably find the receipt.  By the way, $100.00 in 1948 was about $990.00 to day.

26r12_1101091.jpg

Edited by greg g

My dad, who grew up in London, remembers watching TV in 1937 or 1938, anyway before the war started in 1939. His cousin, once-removed, had the TV and London was probably one of the few areas you could get reception at the time. It had a very small screen like the one in the thread starter. Here is a Television Invention Timeline http://www.history-timelines.org.uk/events-timelines/08-television-invention-timeline.htm

My Dad built one from a Halicrafters kit in 1948.  Had a 9" screen.  Used to fill up the living room with neighbors.  It had a row of 13 push buttons to select channels. I lost track of it 45 or so years ago while in my teens.

But I do own a 1953 RCA b/w complete with turntable and am/fm radio in excellent condition.