Specs for wrist pin bushing oil clearance?

Powerhouse

Anyone know the oil clearance specs for a new wrist pin bushing?

I know the stock pin should be from .8591 to .8593 in diameter.  Can the clearance be figured out that way?  I want to make sure the machine shop I use does it correctly.  I am not sure the last guy did. 

Thanks all.

Powerhouse,

A straight answer is that no, I don't know the clearance, but I do have some information that might confuse the situation and that's when I'm happiest so here goes:

It is generally accepted that an oil film is .0005 thick, which is half a thousandth if I got my decimal places right.  Since that film is on both sides of the piece it totals .001.  The clearance for heat expansion is generally .002, which give a total clearance of .003.  Any more than that is too loose so logically any less is too tight, but these are figures to keep in the back of your head only to be used if the machinist says something like, "It's good enough".

Hope somebody else can be more specific.

-Randy

I just did my rods.  I have a Sunnen honing machine to do them on.  They (Sunnen) call for .0003 to .0005 for a full floating pin of this size.  You can not have .0000 clearance, it will be a press fit.  Any good automotive machine shop will have this type of machine. 

More of the rod bushing press fit info out of the special Dodge Truck service bulletin dated 1951.

Thanks much all.  Thumb press fit is mostly what I can find.  I also read 55/64(.859375) bushing I.D. and the pin diameter should be .8591-.8593 

So for pin clearance in rod eye bushing:

.8593(larger spec given for a pin) + .0005(clearance)= .8598   But if the bushing ID is to be .859375 than that makes for no clearance.  

Is that right?  I am no math guy.

Is that not the same for the pin in piston clearance...or is that what they call the thumb press fit at room temp(70°)???  I tested my worn pins in my old pistons and they had to pretty much be hammered in.

Randroid, I am a bit more confused now...but that's better than being stuck in neutral. hahaha

Edited by Powerhouse

SO...since I am getting really confused...are the pins supposed to be tight in the bushing and move around in the piston?  OR are they supposed to be tight in the piston and move around in the bushing?  Which one is the solid fit?  Or are they both supposed to move?

Edited by Powerhouse

per the book there are two test of the wrist pin..one, fitting to the rod only and another fitting to the piston boss less rod..if these pass the test..it is 'assmued' that the combination of the three items a matching combination suitable for assembly and use in the engine..

If the pistons are used there might be a small burr at the snap ring groove.  This is common with round snap rings.  If they are new pistons that has new pins and the air tempature is cold try putting the pistons in hot water for a few minutes.  If that does not work, then you will have to have a machine shop lightly hone the piston to .0003 to.0005 clearance.

A good auto/truck machine shop person is one to be consulted on this issue as they deal with it day to day.