OT Michigan Swimming Season OT

LAKOTA169

This was the Polar Plunge in the Detroit River. It was to raise money for Special Olympics.

057_zps50d24eea.jpg

072_zpsa5f65efd.jpg

Here are members of my FOP Lodge. The lodge President is in the pink tutu (or in his case four four). The guys wore tuxedos and one woman member wore a prom dress.

090_zps744ba2bb.jpg

135_zps588267bf.jpg

These are a hoot!  I've done the one they have at Lakeside Park in Port Huron, MI where we had to walk out on in the ice to take a dip in Lake Huron.  Did the last two for western New York by Hamburg, but those weren't as much fun because there was no ice on Lake Erie (kind of takes the "thrill" out of it).  I did the one in Olcott, NY last year when they had to cut a hole in Lake Ontario.  May be kooky, but its for a good cause - the western NY plunge brought in over $50K for Special Olympics - just that one event.  Must be from my Finnish roots, jumping into frozen ponds after the sauna......   

• Like 1

My sauna is fed with cord wood every Friday night and I usually keep it going all weekend long during the winter.  The lake is 12 feet from the door of the sauna and I take a plunge once or twice a weekend.  Fortunatley the springs that feed the lake run near the sauna, the water moves just enough that I don't have to cut a hole.  My Finnish bred wife (first generation american) says I am crazy, but once you experience the benefits that sauna has to a good nights sleep, you will be hooked for life.