disk brake conversion rotor from 02 Mountaineer 2wd question

coletrain777

So I have read the threads about using the rotor from a 96-01 explorer 4wd and bolting it to the hub. I have a 02 Mountaineer (same as explorer) that is 2wd.  I pulled a front rotor off of it and bolted it to my hub and the hub opening on the 02 rotor is bigger than my hub shaft (probably about a 1/4 inch clearance all the way around.  My question is: Is there any reason that I couldn't use the rotor even though the rotor center opening is bigger in diameter than my hub?  The wheel bolts hold it to the hub so does it really matter?  Just a thought?

What year was the Vic-rotors.

I bought a disk-brake kit from Fatman Fabrications ( with GM calipters) and was told to use newer Mopar rotors, but had to get spacer rings from Ply-Do

to make the rotors fit on the spindle. Can`t find a website for Ply-Do to get these spacers, so maybe I can make the vic-rotors fit with the GM caslipters instead.

My car id a 1948 Dodge D-24

Edited by BusinessC

take a look at BeBop138 pics.  In the second picture you can see how the center opening in the rotor is significantly larger in diameter than the hub spindle area...  this is exactly like the rotor from the mountaineer, it lines up with the hub bolt holes perfectly, but the rotor opening is not a tight fit around the protruding spindle that the rotor opening slips over.  Does this make sense? 

The reason I am asking the question is that if the rotor is a tight fit around the spindle area than it should never get off center, but my concern was that the rotor might get off center slightly without something centering it perfectly like self-centering lug nuts. 

BeBop138 - so even though your rotor's hub opening is larger than your spindle area you havent had any problem with the rotor moving off center? 

I'm not an authority in this area by no means but I would think that the lug nuts would keep the rotor centered even without the hub protruding through the middle or the rotor. I would think as long as there isn't any slop in between the lug nuts and the lug holes in the rotor then there would be no way for the rotor to get off center.

777---no problem---the bolts center the hub---the bolt pattern is the same and the studs fit right on---the lugs do the rest---94-96 Vic rotors- mid 80`s full size GM calipers--Mustang non-power master (disc-drum)---banjo style brake hoses---MoPar police rims---Diplomat--(I think)--with wheel spacer to clear suspension--(stock)  Since the R&P I haven`t checked to see if it`s needed anymore. The bracket is from Scarebird.I have a thread back some time ago----lots of pics---- Very happy with how it turned out.......good luck......Lee

Edited by BeBop138