Clutch adjustment help Please

Don Jordan

I truly hate to beat this into the ground but I'm just not getting it. I've done this with my 48 without a problem. The 47 has fought me the whole way.

I can not figure out how to adjust the pedal. I've got the spring just like I saw in the picture. The pedal will go to the floor and not come back up. I know this is going to be something silly and stupid but I just can't figure it out.

post-309-0-87913100-1360559279_thumb.jpgpost-309-0-00611800-1360559325_thumb.jpgpost-309-0-02342400-1360559371_thumb.jpgpost-309-0-59609400-1360559477_thumb.jpg

It was hard taking pictures under the car. I couldn't get back far enough. This is the spring but it just doesn't seem right.

I feel very ignorant but I can not find the "downloads page". I will keep trying. Thank you.

Click on "Resources" at the top of this page. A pop up menu will have some options including "Downloads".

Once you are on the downloads page, enter "clutch" in the search box near the top right and click the magnifier icon. You'll see two documents with one labled "overspring_tool.pdf"

Edited by TodFitch

That is one thing I haven't adjusted yet - the rod to the fork to the throw out bearing. That's next. Because it's a new clutch I screwed it all the way in.

I went to the PDF file and copied it and it looks just how I have it. The spring goes up and curves to the left. The picture is out of the service manual. I'll keep trying.post-309-0-97695100-1360606707_thumb.jpg

I must be having a bad karma day. From the selections at the top if I click on Home or Forum it will take me there. If I click on Resources or References nothing happens. I'm going out now to try to adjust the rod (6-24-1). I appreciate your patience.

That is one thing I haven't adjusted yet - the rod to the fork to the throw out bearing. That's next. Because it's a new clutch I screwed it all the way in.

I went to the PDF file and copied it and it looks just how I have it. The spring goes up and curves to the left. The picture is out of the service manual. I'll keep trying.attachicon.gifIMG_3140.JPG

Bingo! That should be the first adjustment.

Actually that rod should be the last adjustment. Remove the fork rod, set it aside, and adjust the overcenter spring. Once the overcenter spring is adjusted then reinstall the rod and adjust the pedal free play.

Actually you can take the overcenter spring off and throw it away if the clutch linkage is adjusted correctly. It is there only to make the pedal easier to push. If the throw out arm linkage is not adjusted correctly the overcenter spring will make the pedal stick to the floor when the clutch is depressed. Which is his problem

Actually you can take the overcenter spring off and throw it away if the clutch linkage is adjusted correctly. It is there only to make the pedal easier to push. If the throw out arm linkage is not adjusted correctly the overcenter spring will make the pedal stick to the floor when the clutch is depressed. Which is his problem

I bow out. Go for it and good luck.

Actually that rod should be the last adjustment. Remove the fork rod, set it aside, and adjust the overcenter spring. Once the overcenter spring is adjusted then reinstall the rod and adjust the pedal free play.

This is the correct sequence

I hate to admit this but I quit. Just couldn't figure it out so I took the overcenter spring out and just put in a straight spring. Hooked it on the bracket and the turnbuckle. I know it's not right but it works. I've got so much other stuff to do I can't spend any more time with this silly spring.