OT 5 spd Mazda Trans ?? OT

55 Fargo

Hey, does anyone have an idea or some knowledge of the 5 speed trans that Mazda used in their B2000 pickup trucks in the late 80s.

I have been offered a trans for free, but cannot get to it yet, the truck is buried in snow, will pull very soon. I have not seen it, and the owner does not have any idea if this trans is a seperate unit from the bell housing.

I am going to try and make this work with my 1955 fargo truck, if possible, but will need to know something about these transmissions before I start...Thanx, and I have done some searching, but have not uncovered anything yet

not sure of the truck floor pan etc and how the transfer will work out, but these I think have their shifter at the end of the tranny and could be quite close to the seat..that is all I have to comment about on them..look at the distance of the shifter to the bell and compare to your stock..also if the Ranger/Mazda is a 4 cylinder the 5th gear is not as  high as it is with other trannies that have .70-.73 OD ratio...while a remarkable difference over stock 1.1 it is still less than that what you engine is capable of driving...now Robert had the 3.73 that made up for this a bit  but unless you cahnge your rear gear also to a 3.55 or 3.73..its still going to be a bit light on the top end of the spectrum as far as I am concerned given the time involved to what you can gain with a V6 or V8 appplication transmission.  Also to retain full use of the t5ruck for work..the wide ratio transmission with the lower first and second gears will get your load off the line from start ever so smooth but yet 3, 4 and  5 is the same as the close ratio so you will also benefit on the econmical side the taller gearing allows

not sure of the truck floor pan etc and how the transfer will work out, but these I think have their shifter at the end of the tranny and could be quite close to the seat..that is all I have to comment about on them..look at the distance of the shifter to the bell and compare to your stock..also if the Ranger/Mazda is a 4 cylinder the 5th gear is not as  high as it is with other trannies that have .70-.73 OD ratio...while a remarkable difference over stock 1.1 it is still less than that what you engine is capable of driving...now Robert had the 3.73 that made up for this a bit  but unless you cahnge your rear gear also to a 3.55 or 3.73..its still going to be a bit light on the top end of the spectrum as far as I am concerned given the time involved to what you can gain with a V6 or V8 appplication transmission.  Also to retain full use of the t5ruck for work..the wide ratio transmission with the lower first and second gears will get your load off the line from start ever so smooth but yet 3, 4 and  5 is the same as the close ratio so you will also benefit on the econmical side the taller gearing allows

Hi Tim, yes it is a 4 cyl, not sure possibly 84-88, but have not verified, friend tht has it never had it registered, and it was dumped off on him by a relative.

You are aware I have 3.23 gears in my current diff, being the Mopar 8 1/4 diff. I was hoping that even a 20% reduction in OD, would trnasfer less rpm to this engine at 60+ Mph.

As far as the shifter is concerned, should be okay, but 1 never knows till measurements are taken, I would have more room than Roberts car, I like the seat all the back for my 6ft3, length anyways.

I will post more, once I get more info on this.

I suppose it could be said, having the 3.23 gears in my present rear axle, I could live with a 1-1 final drive ratio, but this trans is rough, evn some teeth sheared off 1st and 3rd gears, it really needs rebuilding or replacing..

with the 3.23 rear gears and say .82 in 5th (OD) you will have 2.65 effect rear ratio..I would not be concerned that the gears are too low but more that they may be borderline high...if you are not pulling hill you should be ok.....even if you shift back to fourth adn 1.1..you still 3.23 and that is by far a big plus over tock rear gear..

In my current build with the 210 HP V6 and 5 speed my effective OD ratio is 2.59...interstate crusie is good as my torque at 2400 is 220 ft lb and the hp is 120 at that RPM..my torque peaks at 235 ft lb @ 3600 and 140 hp and stays flat at torque of 235 ft lb @ 4000 and 178 hp...quite a HP increase in such a small rpm change..any acceleration from there is my HP reserve of 70 remaining ponies till I peak my RPM at 5200 at which time I am still pushing 216 ft lb of torque..

Did some research, looks like the Mazda truck trans for the years 84-89, are different than what they made for the Ford rangers. The trnas case inlcudeds the bellhousing, so ain't gonna work, back to the drawing board.

My current trans, can work for now, but it is rough and needs to be either rebuilt or replaced. I have 3.23 gears in the rear, so higher speeds, are not so bad....thanx all

My setup is with the 3.73 rearend, TK 5speed, the first gear is a little low, would not need much if I lived in flat country,

handy here in hilly country..

With a 3.23 rearend, my first gear would be great, but I would not be able to use 5th gear much, a TK4, 4 speed,

would work ok....

Keep in mind, My Coupe only has 80 hp....

There are some Toyota unit kinda like the Toyo unit that Robert used but the input shaft is a bit short.

I have a pic of one but the system says it is too big to attach...I can email it if you like.

The AX5, AX15, NV535 are useable 5-speeds for many Mopar applications but they have a goofy registration and require using the attached bell unless you can spend the big money and buy Novak's adapter.

Pics on my web site.

True enough, but it also has a 'goofy' registration/bolt pattern

I tried to copy/paste a pic but it is not 'allowed' on this system..... :confused:

Ask your browser for  'jeep nv3550 picture'  and something should show up.

1 thing I have discovered is this. On my truck, tonight going down the highway, speeds from 30-45 mph, in 4th gear, with 3.23 rear gears, not much throttle response, after 50 mph lots of throttle response.

At 60 mph, could go a lot faster, how fast I do not know, but would say 80 mph would not be impossible.

Even with front end and steering work, that it needs, new tires, I do not think these type of trucks would be all that much fun barreling down the road at speeds over 65-70 mph. I see these units as 60 mph creatures, with stock suspension and steering, regardless what has been done gearing wise to enhance speed and lower rpm.

Tim I did this 20 mile drive tonight in the dark, it was fun, outside temp, about 18, love drivin this old girl better than my 47 especially at night, 12 volt lights are still better in my books too.....