B3B in Palm Springs, CA

John-T-53

A relative sent me this picture...I will see it in person later this month when I'm down in the desert. Looks like it'll go to auction if it doesn't sell in the showroom before. Look at the sticker on the windshield, whoa!

Check out more pics via this link:

http://www.classic-carauction.com/auction_details.cfm?pagesubid=37&auctionid=5721

let the comments begin, lol...!

post-1481-0-86309500-1360372333_thumb.jpg

Edited by John-T-53

If you paid 5000 for body and paint.....

2000 for motor machine work/ resto......

500 for tires/rims.......

1000 for interior/small parts.....

X-factor costs like registration fees/ original purchase cost/tranny/driveline/exhaust/ electical system/ mistakes and that special custom part......then add in the ad fees/time sent showing it/ detailing/ etc 

All that puts a guy around 10 grand. He asks 18,900.......takes 15,000. Means he made maybe 4,000 grand for the hours he spent building the truck....... his time, not others. So that might break down to 16 hours a week for a year start to finish. That would be 768 hours for the year, dividing the 4 grand into roughly 5.21 an hour.

Something to keep in mind......and of course, if you build it for yourself, it's a different math problem.

48D    

• Thanks 1

A dark paint job?  :eek:  Really? :eek: Can you imagine how hot the sheet metal on that truck would get in Palm Springs?

John ......... see if you can get the horn ring out of it before it is lost to spontaneous combustion. :D

When I was a youngster we used to visit a cousin of my father who owned a citrus and date grove in Thermal, Ca.

Thermal is about an hour south of Palm Springs. I knew by the time I was 8 years old why all of Cousin Fred's trucks and tractors were some shade of white.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the monetary value of our trucks take a decent jump up in the next few years. There is big upsurge in interest in classic trucks. There were scores of 50's trucks sold during the last few B-J auctions......and for the most part they were the same old thing........Chevy's and to a lesser extent Ford's .....over and over. Nothing really unusual or unique on it's own merits.......and literally not a Dodge to be seen. Many of the trucks sold had "over the top" mods done which can only be a sign of a desperate attempt to be something different. Honestly I think the market for our trucks is just about to change. Think about it....we don't have to do any outrageous mods or crazy paint jobs on our trucks to stand out .....or actually be different from the rest of the crowd. We are in essence already there.

Jeff

Look what happened to the prices of mopar muscle cars...25 years ago, they were reasonable to buy...now..prices are sky high.

And thats for rough cars!  Jeff you have a good point, I think when everyone gets tired of seeing a sea of fords and chevies, dodge prices will jump alot!

In the summertime in the Coachella valley, even cars that are parked in the shade are hot to the touch! I guess when it's an average of 110 - 115 degrees in the day and only down to about 90 by 10 o' clock at night, the steel doesn't have much of a chance to cool down.

On the upside though, you wouldn't have to wait for the engine to warm up, wouldn't need much choke, and have no water vapor in the crank case. Just as long as your radiator is doing its job :-)

There have been some beautiful Mopars at the Palm Springs event over the years. I will see if I can dig up pictures and post 'em here...

Jeff....I'll do my best to swipe the horn ring for ya, but can you send me your ID to hand over when they detain me?? :-0

Edited by John-T-53

If you paid 5000 for body and paint.....

2000 for motor machine work/ resto......

500 for tires/rims.......

1000 for interior/small parts.....

X-factor costs like registration fees/ original purchase cost/tranny/driveline/exhaust/ electical system/ mistakes and that special custom part......then add in the ad fees/time sent showing it/ detailing/ etc 

All that puts a guy around 10 grand. He asks 18,900.......takes 15,000. Means he made maybe 4,000 grand for the hours he spent building the truck....... his time, not others. So that might break down to 16 hours a week for a year start to finish. That would be 768 hours for the year, dividing the 4 grand into roughly 5.21 an hour.

Something to keep in mind......and of course, if you build it for yourself, it's a different math problem.

48D    

I'd change your numbers a little, maybe FEF being a 1 ton makes certain parts more expensive, but my engine work was more than 2000 and the tires alone were 1200,   RIWire set as about $900.   I know I went a bit overborad doing a restoration, so I've gone over your numbers by quite a bit.

That was really my point.

Forget its a dodge for a moment. Any engine can go over 2000, and any truck paint job can go over 5000.

The small items that we buy shackles and knobs get lost in the paper work. So to say its worth more or less because its a Dodge, Ford or a Chevy is not seeing the big picture. I hear all the time that 350 engines are cheaper to build than 360's. Pick and pull doesn't differentiate thier prices base on the big three. Niether does the machine shop. There are no Chevy only batteries, spark plugs, spark plug wires or carbs. Its easy to hit 10,000 on a completely restored vehicle, and if you want to MAKE money on your effort, your personal labor should be included. If he's like anyone of us who build our own trucks, he may have a full time job, and 16 hours a week is a lot. To break it down from 15000 would mean he had a part time job making 5.21 an hour.....ouch. If he gets the asking price maybe 11.5 per hour.

18,900 is a decent number for a complete truck, if the work done on it checks out.

48D 

Paid $   300 for the truck

Paid $   150 for the rear axle

Paid $   500 for front disc brakes and new king pins

Paid $   100 for rims

Paid   $   60 for bed floor

Paid $   200 for grill

Paid $1,800 for rings, pistons balanced, ris pins, head squared, plugs, wires, distributor cap, points, condensor, fuel pump, carb, head, water hoses, batt cables, battery, gasket kit, windows, front window rubber, front windows, gauge restore, bal tires,

Guestimate total $3,000. Now I haven't painted the truck, but can get it done for alot less then $5,000 in my town, and no upholstery. But I have put in countless hours. Now my hours are retirement hours and they are NOVICE hours. I have probably put everything on this truck 3 times before I got it correct.

I would guess I ought to add another $2,000 in odds and ends, they ADD up. Even so, I got a whole lot more enjoymetn out of this five grand then I ever would out of some ocean cruise. Besides, I now electronically know like guys coast to coast, border to border and  a couple in the UK and I have a truck to drive.

At 75 years old, I guess I'm doing ok, but I do get tired and sore.

When we bought the 36 Plymouth back in the 60's MoPar's were junk- paid $90.00 for a barn find one owner car with 19K miles on it.   When I bought the 52 1 ton in the 90's-I traded a 49 F5 flatbed-the owner couldn't wait to get rid of the PH as no one wanted it.  Back then going to cruise ins with a MoPar it was like you were from another planet (park it over there in the back).  Today, there are groups of us that convoy to antique truck shows with Dodge trucks.  Cruise ins are another story too-rows of Mopars, and we now even have a MoPar mountain for our trucks to park in at one.  I think we were all ahead of our time!  Mike

I've tracked about every dime SPENT on FEF.....sorry, it's the engineer in me....but I'd bet I can get within $100 of my parts and outside costs.....and it's not a pretty number....not including my time and friend's time.  But when I spend $400 on a heater control valve, it's easy to get to crazy numbers.

John;

Don't get yourself in any trouble on my account. I just saw the nice horn ring and was concerned that it might suffer a total meltdown..... ;)

I wouldn't want to try and make money doing an old truck of any sort. Purchase cost and parts aside..... I don't see how anyone could if they factor in an reasonable labor cost. If we are honest with ourselves it really isn't about that anyhow. From what I have observed about the members of this forum it seems unlikely that very many of us are in the market for a completed truck like this.

It's value....whatever that is.... is to someone that doesn't want to put themselves through the entire process. Is it worth that sort of money? It might be to the right fellow. I know one thing......I watched people spend what I consider to be silly money on cars and trucks at the B/J auction this year that I would have not even glanced at. Like a lot of things in life what strikes one man's fancy doesn't do it for another.

Jeff

Jeff

• Like 1

Agreed Jeff,

That's why when people ask me about selling completed trucks on this forum I say " this isn't your target group"....this a DIY yourself crowd.....hence my remark ....."if you build it for yourself, it's a different math problem". :)

48D

• Like 1

I know pretty much what my parts cost, its the time thing that puts you way in over your head.   I'm not doing it for the money and I'd do it again, just like almost everybody else on here.  There worse things you could do with your time that would cost alot more.

• 3 months later...

Here's some pics of that truck I took in person. It ended up selling for $11,130.

I was a nice truck...a little rough around the edges that the pics don't really show. Some details were overlooked when it was painted, but overall a nice looker.

post-1481-0-18239800-1368903640_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-72683000-1368903830_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-53336600-1368903879_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-01756300-1368903946_thumb.jpg