What gauge is floor pan?

jcmiller

I used a measuring device to check the gauge of the sheet metal in the removable floor pan in my '42 and got a reading of 19.  I thought I read on here somewhere that the gauge was 20.  Does anyone know for sure what gauge was used?

20 ga. sounds about right. 20ga. is pretty lite, its kinda hard to weld. unless you are an expert welder. I used 16ga. when I re did my floors. tack welded about 1' apart all around then came back and finished the weld pass.you still got to go slow. don't let it get too hot. I hope this helps.

others here on the forum might another way of reparing the floor pans.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to get a sheet of 20 gauge and play around with that.  I'm taking a welding class and they have a low-energy MIG welder that works pretty well on sheet metal.  It seems like I should try to use the same gauge as original since it will eventually have to be joined to original sheet metal.

Sunsetdart - what do you mean by drilling holes and doing rosette welds?

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to get a sheet of 20 gauge and play around with that.  I'm taking a welding class and they have a low-energy MIG welder that works pretty well on sheet metal.  It seems like I should try to use the same gauge as original since it will eventually have to be joined to original sheet metal.

Sunsetdart - what do you mean by drilling holes and doing rosette welds?

You drill a hole, usually around 1/4" and use that hole to weld. Instead of using rivets or screws you do the rosette welds.

Best advice is when you go to your welding class ask the teacher about rosette welds. I know he can explain much better than I can.

Original was probably 19 gauge and can still be had.  Most places don't and won't stock it.  Bear in mind the tolerances for 19 gauge overlap those for 18 on one end and 20 on the other.  18 will be easier to weld since it's a bit thicker and wouyld be better for a floor pan IMO