1946-47 Dodge TRUCKS...needing help-info

Hello,

Ive just prurchased a 46'Dodge pickup 1/2 ton. Im the 2nd owner and the previous owner kept this truck very clean. Although he did take out the 4 sp and original motor the dash and interior are still well taken car of. Im looking for parts and suggestions regarding the steering.

The truck has lots of play in the steering and although Im traveling under 55 most of the time If I hit a bump-LOOK OUT!!! Ill be in the ditch quick! I bought a tie rod end rebuild kit but unsure if that will do the trick. Any advice? Im posting here because I havent found a forum that talks about these ol' Dodges so thanks for any info that is given, j

Needed: rear fender-driverside.

windshield frame inside or out.

Welcome. You'll find a lot of useful advice here. You should also register your truck with the 39-47 dodge truck yahoo group. The mechanical issues you have should be solved fairly easily. Finding a rear fender and windshield frame will be a challenge. Neither is easy to find in good shape.

Hello,

Ive just prurchased a 46'Dodge pickup 1/2 ton. Im the 2nd owner and the previous owner kept this truck very clean. Although he did take out the 4 sp and original motor the dash and interior are still well taken car of. Im looking for parts and suggestions regarding the steering.

The truck has lots of play in the steering and although Im traveling under 55 most of the time If I hit a bump-LOOK OUT!!! Ill be in the ditch quick! I bought a tie rod end rebuild kit but unsure if that will do the trick. Any advice? Im posting here because I havent found a forum that talks about these ol' Dodges so thanks for any info that is given, j

Needed: rear fender-driverside.

windshield frame inside or out.

Get those tie rod-ends replaced, check the steering box, and adjust if necessary, and if possible. make sure the steering box holds lube too.

Front shocks, and king pins should in good condition too. 

Good tires, and brakes are a must now that you have a little more juice with that 318.

Good luck, welcome, and post and ask questions, do searches on this forum too, a lot of info has been covered, over the years.

How about posting some pics.............

Ok thanks for that info!! Yes I do plan to replace the shocks too but Its stops great, runs and sounds great. The Great grandson had lots of stories and said his ggpa loved and cared for this truck and it shows. I still keep in touch w him and send him pictures of the truck ( its been in two weddings so far) He and I cried saying goodbye to it as we drove away, bittersweet for him.

Ive posted one picture but it keeps telling me I ran out of space when Im uploading. They arent huge pictures, just photos off my phone.  ? I will try again..

Ok thanks for that info!! Yes I do plan to replace the shocks too but Its stops great, runs and sounds great. The Great grandson had lots of stories and said his ggpa loved and cared for this truck and it shows. I still keep in touch w him and send him pictures of the truck ( its been in two weddings so far) He and I cried saying goodbye to it as we drove away, bittersweet for him.

Ive posted one picture but it keeps telling me I ran out of space when Im uploading. They arent huge pictures, just photos off my phone.  ? I will try again..

Sounds like a real nice truck, and some good history to go with it.

stay off the freeways till you have this front end corrected, what about the diff, is it stock, I would still go over the brakes, make sure they are adjusted well, especially the stock Lockheed type.

Hope you enjoy this forum,sounds like you are having a blast with the truck, even being in 2 weddings already.....PS grease up all the grease fittings, plenty on this truck, especially the leaf spring zerks....

• Like 1

Guest bewillie

I have window frames and rear fenders and just about any other part for these trucks. Shoot me your needs.

Billy

Sounds like a real nice truck, and some good history to go with it.

stay off the freeways till you have this front end corrected, what about the diff, is it stock, I would still go over the brakes, make sure they are adjusted well, especially the stock Lockheed type.

Hope you enjoy this forum,sounds like you are having a blast with the truck, even being in 2 weddings already.....PS grease up all the grease fittings, plenty on this truck, especially the leaf spring zerks....

Yes I looove this truck so much! On any given sunny day Im out driving it even if its to run and get milk. We have checked and greased it but it was prev greased right before we got it. Im to afraid of the freeway, its 70 mph here and I think this tops out at 55. Idk,  I havent driven faster than that. Ive also been asked to sell it and I just laughed, smiled and said, sorry no. Im not letting this one go. Oh and the prev owner kept EVERY registration since 1960, amaizing!!!  Thanks for all the info, j

To find out what is too loose , jack up the front end to get the weight off the tires . Grab parts and shake them to see where the play is . You might also have too much play in the steering gear box . Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth ( just the free play ) and look underneath to see if the steering arm is moving or if there is a bunch of free play . Also grab a front tire and try to move it up and down , you might find free play in the king pins here .  

• Like 1

To find out what is too loose , jack up the front end to get the weight off the tires . Grab parts and shake them to see where the play is . You might also have too much play in the steering gear box . Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth ( just the free play ) and look underneath to see if the steering arm is moving or if there is a bunch of free play . Also grab a front tire and try to move it up and down , you might find free play in the king pins here .  

Then have the steering box rebuilt or do I need to purchase a new one to fit ?

I think since it has a v8 auto we need to confirm it still has the stock suspension. If it does these are all good things to check. The steering box can be adjusted or if necessary rebuilt.

Hey Dodge Girl, those are some nice photos you put in the gallery, hope you get everything sorted out.

Your truck will most likely cruise at 70 mph no probs with the 318 , but those old truck suspension and handling, will have some to be desired at higher speeds, just weren't built for the modern day freeway.

Years back a friend of mine in Long Beach, had a 64 Chevy panel, I was whiiping up and down the Long Beach Fwy and some others too, doing only about 55-60 mph, but the speed limit was lower in those days, but still I was left in the dust by most.

So get everything up to snuff, and be safe out there, hey you drive a big rig, I don't need to lecture you.............LOL

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but hoping Bewillie still has some of those rear fenders available? Sent you a message. Thank you!