Where to buy a rear drum puller?

TJM

I bought an extra complete rear end and I'd like to take the drums off and get a good look around at the brakes and hub, etc before I try the actual car. From reading here, a quality drum puller is an essential tool I don't have.

Can anyone recommend a good place for me to buy one and is there a particular model / part number that is the best in your experience?

Thanks,

Tom

Check with your local parts houses and see if they will rent you one.  You need the baddest one you can find, the ones from the Chinese Embassy will give up the ghost long before the tapered axle will.  Or you might take your extra rear to a shop that has one and pay them a bit to take it down.  They can be very frustrating.

Thanks for the suggestions - hopefully, I'll get one of my own that will hold up to four drums - two on the practice axle and two on the car. I hope to avoid a piece of junk that won't hold up to the beating.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been so long since I got mine I don't remember where I got it. But I do have one word of caution/advice: make sure you keep the nut on the axle. When the drum finally did break lose it sounded like a shot. When they finally let go there is a lot of stored up energy. I had to bang it with a lead hammer to get it to give.post-309-0-82885100-1361942045_thumb.jpg

I have been checking around for a loaner...no luck so far at any of the local parts stores...I think this is one of those tools where quality counts and I'm going to pay for quality. My only reservation is that with most things today, even expensive things, the quality isn't always commensurate with the price. I hate getting ripped off on cheap quality...makes it a tough decision about buying online.

As far as I know I have a stock rear end - but the guy I bought it from didn't really know, he just inherited a parts stash and I picked it all up for a good price...I paid $50 for a tranny, some stainless, two wheels, two hubcaps, a rear-end and some glass along with some buckets of assorted small pieces. Couldn't pass it up - to me the drums and brake parts are worth the $50 and the tranny, allegedly rebuilt, is icing on the cake.

I got mine from my Matco distributor and it has worked well for me. He had it in his inventory so long that he didn't even carry it on his truck anymore. He gave me a good deal on it. It isn't a cheap China version. If you are willing to spend the money on a quality puller stay with known brands such as Snap-On, Matco, MAC, or OTC.

Here's an OTC brand at ToolTopia for $132. http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7394.aspx

Edited by Merle Coggins

The one I have is a Blue Point Which is Snap-On, buts its over 60 years old. The new ones are 250. plus, but they last forever. Remember that every time you do brakes on a 62 and older mopar one is needed to do the back brakes.

I bought a cheap Chinese puller online for about $50 a few years ago.  It works great, and yes I did use an air wrench on the hex head on top of the screw post.  I don't think that it would last if it were used on a regular basis, like in a commercial shop.  However, I only have 1 car with 2 rear hubs and the puller does the job I need.

Dave

I believe with proper use and care the low cost units will do the job...granted I would not get one of these for a shop for everyday use or possibily folks who do not care for tools proper to have access too..I have a unit that I bought at a swap meet NIB for 40.00 granted I have only used it about 3 times and pulled 6 drums..but it has well done the job and there was no hammering involved...you do need to be careful on setup to ensure the position of the feet..the pull must be as equal as one can get on the three legs for ease of pulling..

I had been looking semi frequently on ebay for a few months.   I was looking for a Herbrand,  Blue Point or Snap On.   I am now to the point where I need the puller now.   I found a gently used New Britain puller for $42 plus $15 shipping.    Not a steal, but, a fair price for what should be a good quality puller.

Here is the ebay photo:

puller_zps2dba888e.jpg

I have the one iowamark shows the picture of. it will take any drum off and will accept heavy beating with a small sledge to do the job.got mine off ebay about ten years ago for $65 from a retired mechanic.buy quality fror this tool as it must be stong and able to withstand the beating. capt den