Front coil springs

Mark Haymond

thanks  for that link  looks like they go b ack to 1942... i have a mom and pop  auto  parts place ill check ,,and just  found a not to far away  spring  shop been there near 100  years,,  my  next day  off  on a busniess day ill be calling them,,,

now here is a pic  i took of my  front end,,,DOES any one know, if this is some sort of old  trick,,,,of some ones  useless  idea,,,,, look at the  rubber  hose  zip tied around the ends of the  mounting  pins and  the lower control  arms at the bushings,,,, my guess was to keep  the grease from  making  a mess,,,any  info would be good t o hear thanks in adavance,,,

Looks like someone tried to keep the dirt and grime out of the parts. The original dust seals look very close to that minus the zip ties of course. :D

Looks like someone tried to keep the dirt and grime out of the parts. The original dust seals look very close to that minus the zip ties of course. :D

this comming week on  my  day  off  i plan  to  cut the zip ties and have a loook,,,also hoping to take one side apart see whats  good whats bad,,,crosssing  my fingers,,,

post-6645-0-86184900-1396136221_thumb.jpg

Spring Specialties does springs. I just put mine in and the car handles absolutely perfectly. I specified a 10% greater spring rate over the stock springs.

ken

Edited by Lumpy

thanks for the reply  i didnt get back on the forum till now,,work  rotating 12 hour shift,,,after close inspection,,most suspension parts are in  great shape except for the original cut  coil springs,,,  so  i orderd new coils from eaton,,,stock spec,,,im hoping  they will be ok,,,and dropped up rights and  shock  kit from fat man,,, replacing the  upper and lower outer  bushings and pins,,,any suggestions on getting a new full size coil back in there ??  any problems?? thanks in advance

I just did Lumpy and there was no problem getting the springs in and out. Almost felt guilty it was so easy. Almost.

ken.

There isa spring repair center in Eddystone, PA which is near I-95 and 476  Near Chester PA. for the guys in the greater Philadelphia/Souther NJ and Wilmington Delware area.

Here is the info:

Chester Spring Works

1919 Chester Pike

Eddystone, PA 19022-1338

Phone 610-876-8318

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

im running the moog cc850 (ford aerostar) coils with 1.5 coils cut off up front. also running c10 shocks with homemade relocation brackets and i made new sway bar bushings out of a block of rubber. (if anyone is wondering the rear is 3" blocks with a couple leafs pulled out of the leafpack)

1012131_766428836709527_124308133_n.jpg

1964873_765068456845565_517544007_n.jpg

im running the moog cc850 (ford aerostar) coils with 1.5 coils cut off up front. also running c10 shocks with homemade relocation brackets and i made new sway bar bushings out of a block of rubber. (if anyone is wondering the rear is 3" blocks with a couple leafs pulled out of the leafpack)

1012131_766428836709527_124308133_n.jpg

1964873_765068456845565_517544007_n.jpg

Sits nice.....the shock relocation bracket looks like 1 from a HAMB tech thread a while back. Watch your scrub line in the rear.

Sits nice.....the shock relocation bracket looks like 1 from a HAMB tech thread a while back. Watch your scrub line in the rear.

i took the hamb template and modified them....straight lines on the bracket, not curved. also is welded to side and top of frame rail instead of just the side.

Just a block of wood and a bottle jack. On the driver's side I had my son help me line the bolts up as I raised the lower a-arm, but he was busy when I got to the passenger side, so I found I was able to just use my foot and leg to position it as I raised it with the jack.

ken.

Just a block of wood and a bottle jack. On the driver's side I had my son help me line the bolts up as I raised the lower a-arm, but he was busy when I got to the passenger side, so I found I was able to just use my foot and leg to position it as I raised it with the jack.

ken.

aaah the old  foot and leg trick,,lol   i think  we can  get it  done with no problems i have   a few jacks,,,,thanks

• 1 year later...

Hey all...I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead with a stupid tech question.  I started to swap my springs last night using the Aerostar conversion.  I however did not read here first so I seperated my spindle from the top bolt not the bottom...My question is actually related to the re-assembly.  This is my first time doing a job like this on a car without ball joints.  I'm trying to find some type of torque spec for the upper "spindle bolt"  (I'm betting there is a better term but that's what I'm calling it for now).  I will try to attach pictures.  My concern is over torquing the bolt side being that it threads through the upper control arm.  Anyone out there have some helpful suggestions?post-5612-0-85695700-1431434734_thumb.jpgpost-5612-0-43039800-1431434752_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Nate

• 3 months later...

you can get the  stock  coil  spring specs  from EATON spring in  michigan,,,I installed the  fat  man  dropped  up rights and  new  stock  spec  coils  from eaton,and  i had to go to a shorter tire,  i can  just  imagine  how low your car sits with  cut  coils,,,and  if you could steeer  im sure you wouldnt like the  ride quality,,,  with  m y dropped uprights and  new  stock  spec  coil springs,and the  upper shock  mount  moved to the frame  it rides and  handles much  bettter,, now  all  i need is a front sway bar,,,ill post a pic  of  how  it  sits now,,,my car is the  blue car in  pic,,,the  lighter color  car  is a 40  plymouth,with stock  front end ride height

post-938-0-32436200-1441685015_thumb.jpg

post-938-0-68947300-1441685023_thumb.jpg

post-938-0-36482200-1441685038_thumb.jpg

post-938-0-10765500-1441685069_thumb.jpg

Hey all...I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead with a stupid tech question. I started to swap my springs last night using the Aerostar conversion. I however did not read here first so I seperated my spindle from the top bolt not the bottom...My question is actually related to the re-assembly. This is my first time doing a job like this on a car without ball joints. I'm trying to find some type of torque spec for the upper "spindle bolt" (I'm betting there is a better term but that's what I'm calling it for now). I will try to attach pictures. My concern is over torquing the bolt side being that it threads through the upper control arm. Anyone out there have some helpful suggestions? 2015-05-12 08_27_02-Microsoft Office 2010.jpg 2015-05-12 08_27_52-Microsoft Office 2010.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Nate

Nate,

I believe that is what you turn to adjust the camber. The spindle should clamp on it so you don't have to torque it.

• 9 months later...

I've read this entire thread and others looking for the height of the front suspension coils free standing. Mine are 13.5 inches. Do they compress over the years and do they loose some of their tension.