Front coil springs

Mark Haymond

That would be too ratroddish and friends don't let friends drive rat rods. This one is getting 48 VW red with tan interior, no pin stripes, no flake just one solid color. She is going to be a classy bi**h and not some painted up trollup from the 60's (like my truck).

We just installed a new muffler yesterday....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=czBBaIc-t3U

• Like 1

That would be too ratroddish and friends don't let friends drive rat rods. This one is getting 48 VW red with tan interior, no pin stripes, no flake just one solid color. She is going to be a classy bi**h and not some painted up trollup from the 60's (like my truck).

We just installed a new muffler yesterday....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=czBBaIc-t3U

nothing rat  rodish  about it,, most people confuse the term  rat rod much like the term  RARE,,,  still has a meen stance

COIL SPRING QUESTIONS

It seems that I have read about new springs forever.  Did I miss something or does It appear that as a group we don't have the stock specifications for the coil springs so that they can be compared to the specs of newly manufactured springs.

Does anyone have the Specs of the stock springs?

Are the Moog CC850's coil springs a close match?

Has anyone purchased new NOS springs from one the suppliers ie Bernbaum?

Just received the perfect example.

I received the latest Kanter catalog.  The coil springs for 1939 to 1956 Plymouths are $220 and $250 from Dodge.   After spending thousands on body and paint $220 for springs won't break the bank.  I just wonder if the exact same spring is available at a much lower price. 

I received the latest Kanter catalog.  The coil springs for 1939 to 1956 Plymouths are $220 and $250 from Dodge.   After spending thousands on body and paint $220 for springs won't break the bank.  I just wonder if the exact same spring is available at a much lower price. 

I think if it were me I'd go this route. It's not an easy task to replace these springs and saving $100 give or take a few bucks, isn't worth it to me either. Taking a risk on cheaper springs hoping that they have the right stance, the right compression, and the right size is not for me. I'd hate to do it all over again if it's not right after it's all together. Just my opinion.

I ordered springs from "Spring Specialties" or something like that. I think it was Spring Specialties. I was able to specify the amount of drop I wanted, (they would not go over 2.5") and if I wanted the springs stiffer or softer than stock. I got the impression they make them up, don't stock them.

I have not put them on yet, but should get to that soon. They cost a little more than $220, but again....I forgot! Will try to get them on soon and elvaluate them.

ken.

I have an NOS set for a 1956 Plymouth for $100 + shipping. Never been installed. These are for a 6 cylinder car as well.

I personally think that shopping with Kanter is not showing good stewardship of hobby dollars to begin with....but that is just a personal reflection/opinion

im asking where would you shop ?  im getting ready to pull my  original cut coils out and replace them,, as soon as next week,,??  also  stated 220 for plymouth springs and 250 for dodge springs ?  why the price difference?  its the same  suspension,,,,i agree  trying a cheaper spring is not worht the time and effort if you have to  re do it again,,

Kanter makes no products..they are just a ONE STOP shopping experience most of the time...at a very inflated price compared...I do not use Kanter, Groit's Garage or Eastwood either as their prices border on the extreme..but that is solely my personal observation...you will be quite amazed at what your locals can do for you if you got the right people staffing it...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

as in Kanter is doing springs?....not so sure you will not find anyone "doing" spring but I am sure you will find folks who will/can supply them for you...if you need to farm them out...then let the shop make the proper selection....many folks here have done this very thing and some just recently..they may or may not have listed their source.....if recently, good chance the search engine here will find the thread..

you mentioned asking fatman..is this a non stock suspension you inquire of?

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

it is currently an  original 1940 dodge  front suspension,,the previous owner installed  rack and pinion kit, disc brakes and  cut the front coils for a lower stance,,,

the original  coil springs are now sagging,,almost coil bound,,and the  king pins have wear,,,,  im replacing the coils wiith  original  size and using  dropped up rights, to keep the stance but  have proper suspension travel,,,  i havent talked to fat man  in a while on this set up,,and  since ply/do  is not around any longer,,,  i dont know if fat man  has  new coils to go with his up right kit,,, so im looking for a source for  front coils,,,  

i also will have some pics soon,,i have a few  questions about some of the work  that was done by the previous owner,,ive never seen before,,,

and i picked up a set of 1941 - 1956  nos  mooog upper control arms,looking to see if any one knows if there is any thing  else i need to convert to  use the newer style  upper A arms,,, thanks in advance,,

it is currently an  original 1940 dodge  front suspension,,the previous owner installed  rack and pinion kit, disc brakes and  cut the front coils for a lower stance,,,

the original  coil springs are now sagging,,almost coil bound,,and the  king pins have wear,,,,  im replacing the coils wiith  original  size and using  dropped up rights, to keep the stance but  have proper suspension travel,,,  i havent talked to fat man  in a while on this set up,,and  since ply/do  is not around any longer,,,  i dont know if fat man  has  new coils to go with his up right kit,,, so im looking for a source for  front coils,,,  

i also will have some pics soon,,i have a few  questions about some of the work  that was done by the previous owner,,ive never seen before,,,

and i picked up a set of 1941 - 1956  nos  mooog upper control arms,looking to see if any one knows if there is any thing  else i need to convert to  use the newer style  upper A arms,,, thanks in advance,,

Keep us informed fsfish66. I will be in the market eventually for my Plymouth. The front springs on mine are weak also and I'll be doing some homework for next winter. Eww, did I say next winter? Bring Summer on first!!!!

You guys checked out ESPO springs and things? DC no reason to wait for winter its a pretty quick job to swap them.

DC  i wlll do that for sure,,  i agree bring on  tee shirt weather  so my  garage isnt so  cold,,,

young ed,,, ide made a note to  check  espo thanks,,,

ill ask around town,,,or fat man  when  i order parts next week,,,i dont think  ide find any  one local doing coil springs

Do you have a local shop that specializes in springs? Here where I live we have 2 shops that do all kinds of springs. I took my p-15 rear springs to them and they punched holes in the leaves and added nylon inserts for better spring action. Cost was about $130.00 for both. I didn't ask about coil springs, but I'm sure they could have reffered me to someone that does coils. Check your yellow pages. :D

Edited by OldDad67

thanks  for that link  looks like they go b ack to 1942... i have a mom and pop  auto  parts place ill check ,,and just  found a not to far away  spring  shop been there near 100  years,,  my  next day  off  on a busniess day ill be calling them,,,

now here is a pic  i took of my  front end,,,DOES any one know, if this is some sort of old  trick,,,,of some ones  useless  idea,,,,, look at the  rubber  hose  zip tied around the ends of the  mounting  pins and  the lower control  arms at the bushings,,,, my guess was to keep  the grease from  making  a mess,,,any  info would be good t o hear thanks in adavance,,,

post-938-0-58205700-1394750962_thumb.jpg

I'd be pretty tempted to cut the tie wrap and see whats underneath the added rubber. Was the original rubber seal wasted?

Doug

i have no clue   im still not sure how  much of the  front suspension  im  replacing,,, but thats a   good idea,, cut the  zip ties and see whats going on   ill have to  compare it to my  friends 40 plymouth,,  his doesnt have the  rubber tied around it,,,so ill see whats  going on,,