Front coil springs

Mark Haymond

So i have decided to try a set out on the '40, i looked on ebay and i can get a pair of moog cc850 coil springs for anywhere from $50 to $220, anyone have an idea where there is such a wide range of prices for the same spring that is made by the same company?

I just got a pair of Moog CC850's from ebay seller partsboulevard in Hillsboro,OR for $54.19 and free shipping. I ordered them yesterday morning and they were on my doorstep when I got home from work today. I will be installing them next week in my chopped 50 Windsor. I will have before and after pics to go with the install. The current front coils were either heated or cut too much so it is bottomed out. 

I just got a pair of Moog CC850's from ebay seller partsboulevard in Hillsboro,OR for $54.19 and free shipping. I ordered them yesterday morning and they were on my doorstep when I got home from work today. I will be installing them next week in my chopped 50 Windsor. I will have before and after pics to go with the install. The current front coils were either heated or cut too much so it is bottomed out. 

Sounds good, i am very interested in the outcome and your opinion on the performance

Hello from Denmark

I'm looking for a pair of rear springs for my 1950 DODGE Wayfare to, any one knows where to find them ?

Cheers Allan

I could give you a helluva deal on these... (Full disclosure, the other side not as good)

Edited by Ol Skool

Hello from Denmark

I'm looking for a pair of rear springs for my 1950 DODGE Wayfare to, any one knows where to find them ?

Cheers Allan

You could check with these folks.

http://www.johnrspring.com/

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Thanks for your quick reply Shel :-)

I just mailed them at tpiejak@johnrspring.com

But my message could not be delivered. Error was: The mailbox is not available on this system

Cheers Allan

You could check with these folks.

http://www.johnrspring.com/

Edited by Ol Skool

Greg,

I think those are the MOOG specifications. I am looking for '49-'50 Desoto original coil spring specifications taken off of an actual spring with its corresponding MOPAR part number.

Best, James

Jame cannot give you specs,as I don't have any Desoto springs. Original part #'s are NOT the same as Plymouths!

1950 Mopar part book- fronts-drivers side #1123-244, passenger# 1123-243

drivers side#- heavy duty-1139001, passenger side#=heavy duty=1139-002  all for MOST models!!

4dr. sdn. and club cpe. both= 864-845

WAITT  !! there,s  more #'s driver and passenger-serial  #dependant! 7 more! possibitities!

Post that info and i'll look it up as best as possible?

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Update....

I did the swap on my 50 Windsor using the Moog CC850 coil springs and a pair of Monroe 5752 shocks.  I haven't had a chance to drive the car yet because I am still rewiring it but I can say that it has to be better than the flat shocks and over cut coils that I took out. It was on the bumpstops before with no suspension travel in the front. Now it sits about 3" off the stops, not much but it is better than before. If I had to do it again I would probably get a taller coil for a better ride (It bottoms out pretty fast when I push on the front end) but for the price I am not going to complain.

20130609_122042_zpsa7b61a70.jpg

Before..

20130609_150618_zps349b68f1.jpg

After... Not too much difference that you can tell from the pics but it is a little better in person. I do like it low but this might be too low for a good driver...

20130622_145525_zpsae004f95.jpg

Good pictures! I think i will order a set, its a little low for me but i think that my Plymouth is slightly lighter in the front and will hopefully sit up a little more

Just keep in mind that it is easier to pull and reinstall the lower A arm at the spindle than it is the upper (unless there is some super awesome trick to getting the 2 bushings back in than how I did it). I did one side by undoing the lower arm and the other by undoing the upper, having never owned a mopar of this era I figured you learn by doing! Sway bar also needs to come off. The whole job maybe took an hour using a small air impact gun. (2hrs not counting my ocd with cleaning every nut and bolt I took off with the wire wheel on my bench grinder).

Also, if I were to do it again along with a little taller springs I would see what the correct KYB shock would be and spend the extra for them. Monroe shocks are absolute crap now days but they are better than nothing, cheap and on the shelf at every NAPA.

FYI, I have a pair of never used NOS coils for a 56 Plymouth with a 6 if anyone is interested. I have no idea on application crossovers.

Edited by bbbbbb99
  • Like 1

There are several guys on the HAMB that have used the CC850's. All seem to be happy with the swap, but most have been lowered so how they would work with stock ride height is something you would have to test out. For the price of about $50 - $60 worth a shot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to install the new moog springs, it brought the front end of the car up 1.5 inches. I like the look a lot better and it rides firmer now.

post-3602-0-30901300-1372955220_thumb.jpg

post-3602-0-50859300-1372955231_thumb.jpg

great info!

ever since cutting a coil and getting about 3" of lowering out of that

(i always thought it would be 2" the most...) i'm creeping around on my bump stops.

looks cool to me, but a little stiffness in the coils might add some comfort here and there.

will check rockauto next week!

lowering springs in the back instead of blocks would be nice, too, but that's going to be pricey...

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE......

After installing the cc850 coils and new Monroe front shocks I haven't had a chance to drive the Chrysler because I have been rewiring the whole car, well that job is done and I took her for a spin around the block about 10 mins ago! I was afraid that it would bottom out pretty fast but even after taking it down a pretty long, uneven and deep pothole filled dirt alley (average pothole is about 4" deep) it road pretty damn good! The only issue I have is when I turn pretty sharp, like backing out of my driveway, the front tires rub a little but they are pretty tall tires p235/75r15.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it and it wasn't too bad for the price. Like I said in a previous post, if I had to do it again I think I would get a little taller spring and run some part numbers and see what KYB shocks would fit the front.

By the way, it does pretty good burnouts too!

• 3 months later...

any more front spring conversions ??  wondering if the cc850  will work  in my  40  dodge with the early  red ram  hemi,,my original coils were cut by the previous owner and  i believe they are originals,,,they are now almost coil bound,,,a  full size spring and  droppped up right may  be the ticket with a v8 ??  the stock replacement springs ive found on line are pricey  250 a set,,and  ideas ???  thanks in advance,,,

• 3 months later...

Been a while so I thought I would update you. Got the car rewired and have driven it a few times since (still in project mode). I love the stance but I think I may find a spring that is a bit taller than the C850's once I really start driving it. She hits pretty hard and there isn't that much suspension travel.

glad to  hear your opinion on the  cc 850 coils,,,,  any  pics ??

I will take some pics this week and post them by the weekend.

I will take some pics this week and post them by the weekend.

ok great  on the pics,,,  thanks for your opinion,  i have been on the fence deciding on the  850 coils,,verses the full stock type coil and a dropped up right,,  since  i need king pins as well   ill be doing the  original  type  coil and a dropped up right

Here she is. I took it around the block again lastnite and I wish I went with a taller spring in the front, the ride is a bit rough and she bottoms out pretty easy. Air shocks in the rear, needs a bit narrower tires (came on the car when I bought it) because the tie rod ends rub the inside of the tires when turning and have worn grooves in them.  

20140228_173051_zps40i7fdox.jpg

20140228_173058_zpsjn1k4rry.jpg

20140228_173141_zpsfwdqvuvq.jpg

Here she is. I took it around the block again lastnite and I wish I went with a taller spring in the front, the ride is a bit rough and she bottoms out pretty easy. Air shocks in the rear, needs a bit narrower tires (came on the car when I bought it) because the tie rod ends rub the inside of the tires when turning and have worn grooves in them.  

20140228_173051_zps40i7fdox.jpg

20140228_173058_zpsjn1k4rry.jpg

20140228_173141_zpsfwdqvuvq.jpg

i dont see the groove from the tie rods,,,but that car has a meen  stance  dp 90  primer and vintage pin striping and fat whites would be killler just my 2 cents,,