My 1st Mopar OT

55 Fargo

Here is a pic I just acquired from the Guy that owned this car just before me.My 1972 Duster 340 4spd 4.11 rearend.  I had it from 1979-1981, it was super fast lil machine, sure would be nice to have it now, wonder what became of it....

post-107-0-26882400-1359687458_thumb.jpg

My first Mopar was a 1950 Plymouth. Like many others I choose to reconnect with my old car by restoring another one I found locally.

Sometimes I wish I had started with a cool car instead of my mother's hand me down ride. But I have good memories of weekend road trips to West Virginia with my cave exploring friends. The car smoked on the down hills but always brought us home without a breakdown. I remember awkward dates, early engine tuneups, a cheap floor shifter install, and a fender with primer that never did get painted. My next car was a 57 MGA, a car you could look good in while wearing sunglasses.

But today I get frequent "I like your car!" comments from strangers for my simple gray four door, and I would not trade it for a repair prone MGA like I used to have.

I bought this 47 Plymouth Spec Dlx coupe (R pic)  from the local Chevy dealer in 1962  or 63 (I think)..........for $35.

It had belonged to a farmer from an area town who had used it for various chores including hauling some hay,

judging by the mess in the trunk.  The paint was faded light grey and it was generally kinda run down.  I had

$15 in my wallet.....went home and asked Mom to borrow $20.........and bought it.  Later I added some 1959

Dodge style flipper wheel covers.  A couple years later, I thought it would be cool to have the front end lowered

so I had a fellow at a salvage yard heat the coil springs with a torch.  Yep.....it rode rather like a lumber wagon

thereafter.  Also had him install a "cutout" on the exhaust pipe up near the front using an old gas tank filler

neck.  The bad part about that was.....it would eventually burn out the gasket inside the gas cap and begin

leaking.  Would fix it with some asbestos type paper stuff I found.  My younger sister drove the car to high school

during her senior year.  Eventually the transmission began doing some wierd things and the car was parked.

However, I kept it for several years and still had it when I moved here to Joplin in 1968.  Towed it down here from

Springfield, MO (about 70 miles), tried to get it running again unsuccessfully, and finally sold it.  

About the same time I sold it, I had bought a blue P15 coupe (mid pic) locally to replace it.  After that,

in 1973, acquired my present P15 convertible. 

post-22-0-40845200-1359708810_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-44950300-1359709047_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-05813600-1359709111_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Don't have a pic of my first MoPaR which was a '63 Dart Wagon that I bought in 1970, but here's my first "collector" car, a 1950 P20, that I put on the road in 1974 for around $300 all in. Got the car for free with a blown engine, swapped in a 230 inch flattie from a '57 Dodge Town Panel and had the ENTIRE front end rebuilt and aligned (including front springs) for $125!

post-515-0-22007900-1359730304_thumb.jpg

My first car was a 1960 Hillman Husky, my second was a 1965 Sunbeam (Hillman) Minx.  They were from the British Rootes Group, which was owned by Chrysler at the time.  Do they count?  A couple of years later I bought a 1966 Dodge Dart 2 door.  It had a 273 with 3 speeds on the column.  It was pretty quick for the time, kind of a "sleeper". 

Dave

My first was a 1954 Plymouth Savoy that my Father had completely given up on. I was 17 in High School and broke. The engine held about 10 psi of Oil pressure and had a rod in #5 that would lock up and seize the engine about every 6 months or so. Still it was mine and I loved it. Drove it just like the kid I was. It still lasted over a year before the clutch went out. Got $4 for it at the junk yard. Started me down a long line of Plymouths that continues today with my 52 Cranbrook and my 80 Volare.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

My first was a 1954 Plymouth Savoy that my Father had completly given up on. I was 17 in High School and broke. The engine held about 10 psi of Oil pressure and had a rod in #5 that would lock up and seize the engine about every 6 months or so. Still it was mine and I loved it. Drove it just like the kid I was. It still lasted over a year before the clutch went out. Got $4 for it at the junk yard. Started me down a long line of Plymouths that continues today with my 52 Cranbrook and my 80 Volare.

please, a pic of the 80 volare!!!

This was my first car.  I bought it in 1983 when I was 15 and managed to hold onto it until 2006 when I sold it in a moment of weakness to avoid taking out another school loan.  When I graduated in 2008 and started earning money I tried to locate it, but it had been shipped to New York (from Oregon) where I think it may have been turned into a hemi clone.  I'd still like to find a green on green 1970 Gran Coupe one of these days.

post-3715-0-36446100-1359783236_thumb.jpg

post-3715-0-83630600-1359783273_thumb.jpg

The first Mopar that I bought on my  own was a 1968 Valiant V100 2-door sedan in 1974.  I got it from the NY Telephone Company in Buffalo, NY for the amazing price of $150.00 which included a quicky paint job from them in 'school bus yellow'.   The car ran great and was very reliable.  I sold it because of too many cars; I later heard from the buyer that he totaled it in Florida.  I should have held onto it.

post-235-0-65395500-1360108614_thumb.jpgThis was my first car, period. A 1950 (or, 1951?) Chrysler long sedan that had been in the fleet of the Merced (CA) Funeral Home. It was black with jump seats and mohair interior. It'd do 0-60 in about 4 days with its fluid drive and flatty. I was a junior in high school and I'd pack about a half-dozen friends in it and cruise 17th street in Merced while listening to Jefferson Airplane or Strawberry Alarm Clock or Tower of Power or Santana... Lot of fun and I sold it to some guy who planned to make a camper out of it.

My first Mopar was a car that never turned a wheel while I owned it.  I bought a rolling chassis 1963 Sports Fury that had been a drag car.  It ran high 11's with a 383/four barrel/automatic.  I had planned to put a 440 automatic in it and put it back on the street.  It sat for a couple of years at my buddy's shop while I was trying to find the money to build it.  Finally a guy made me an offer that I couldn't refuse, and I sold it.

Amusingly, I ran into the car several years later; the guy was claiming that it was an original, race-only 426 wedge car.  I offered to show him the original street registration for it, but he didn't bite.

Ironically, if I could have just parked it, I had the perfect engine for it 6 years after I bought it; a 505ci fuel injected 400 stroker.  I had planned to put it in my 47, but decided to build a flathead instead.  Oh well ..........

Marty

My (actually OUR) first Mopar was a new '70 Duster I bought for my wife. It was blue with a white leather interior and bucket seats. Had the slant 6 and 3 speed on the floor. Had to stop in a large parking lot on the way home to show her how to drive a stick. She learned quick. A short time later, she was driving my built '64 GTO with 4 speed to work.

my first Mopar I bought was a 1959 (9 passenger Suburban)..lady ran it without water, locked the engine...gotthe thing for 40.00..my dad had wrecked the 61 and I dragged it home by a tow rompe 89 miles..yes..could get away with that back in the day...put the engine tranny combo from the 61 into the wagon and was on the road quick..to have that wagon today would be super nice...

Edited by Tim Adams

My first mopar that was actually mine was my 46 pickup that I still have. However before I got my own I spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of these: 54 Plymouth 39 Plymouth roadking and that dakota before I bought it from Dad. Also briefly his 40 Plymouth pickup before we discovered the frame was broken.

cars2.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

My first MoPar was LuLu---1952 Windsor---the closest I got to buying a MoPar when I was a kid was in 69---I almost bought a new Roadrunner---but cash was a problem at 21. Been a GM guy up to getting LuLu. I have restored,hammered,patched at least 30+ cars since I was a kid and LuLu has been a good car---lotsa fun with the old flattie and a good learning experience on MoPars. My first car was a 56 Chevy----after driving and restoring LuLu I have had a new appreciation for the  durabilty and engineering that went into these old cars of the day............see ya down the road...............Lee

post-539-0-15050500-1360249084_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-01076100-1360249137_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-56554400-1360249162_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-53818700-1360249184_thumb.jpg

Edited by BeBop138

Here is my first mopar, 1997 Dodge Dakota, my second mopar being my 52 B3B, and my third being the 48 DeSoto. I have grown up with mopars. My dad has always had at least two at any time. We've had our 41 DeSoto, 2 56 DeSotos, a 54 Chrysler New Yorker Newport Deluxe (2 door hard top), a 60 DeSoto, and many of my parents DDs (new cars)

My Dakota has a 318, 5 speed stick, manual transfer case. I put a body lift of it and small suspension lift on it as well along with the rims and tires. I've done a few other things to it as you can see. Its a good truck, no complaints about it. Fun to drive. 

post-3516-0-54507100-1360250357_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-83343300-1360250361_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b218

my first Mopar to drive was the Dodge Dart 340 with the Hurst Campbell four speed.  This was in 1969. i was working at a local Dodge Dealership and had to take this car to another dealership.  Being only 18 years old had a lot of fun driving that car and some great burning and spinning the rear wheels. Most people only recognise the name Hurst but this was a joint ownership with mr Hurst and Mr Campbell.  My Campbell is still alive and is a member of my local car club.  Bill is a super great guy and we all owe our lives to him if we are ever in a car and have to be removed via the jaws-of-life.  Bill invented this tool after leaving Hurst.  He has some great stories. He also was the CEO of gthe Provost Bus company.

LAster in life after getting married got a Dodge Grand Caravan actually had two of these.

Presntly Driving a 39 desoto

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com