Will a 2412 hemi bolt to a flathead 6 bellhousing?

austinsailor

I thought I asked this today using my I-Phone, but I must need more training on it and this new board - I can't find it!

But, I'm trying to verify that the little Dodge hemi, 241 or 270, will bolt to the flathead 6 bell housing. I have a friend who has one that would like to put a little hemi in it. I told him it would bolt up and I'm hoping I didn't lead him astray.

I found him a 49 3/4 ton last year, now I've located him a 270 hemi. I sure hope they'll bolt up.

Thanks,

Gene 

No dice! The Bell housings are completely different!

Well, yes and no....

There are a couple of bells that had/have both block bolt patterns. Generally, the bells that I have seen are in the 1956-1959 range but there could be more.

If the truck bell is the original 49 then you are outta luck simply because there was no v-8. If there is a chance that it has been swapped out then 'maybe'... You/he will need to look at the bell.

I just found this long lost both flathead six and V-8 MoPar bell housing. It's a 22....# so must be around 1960. Multiple trans bolt patterns too. Don't know what MoPar V-8's it fits. Hmmmmmm.... :unsure:

Well I have the 55 to 64 Hollander and there are way too many Dodge/ DeSoto bell housing possibilities. I tried but gave up as they don't show all the OE part numbers or what clearly interchanges. I'm way too confused on this part lookup,I looked up truck interchange too-even more possibilities. Sorry guys!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I just found this long lost both flathead six and V-8 MoPar bell housing. It's a 22....# so must be around 1960. Multiple trans bolt patterns too. Don't know what MoPar V-8's it fits. Hmmmmmm.... :unsure:

That is one of them!  All EarlyHemi (exc 51-53  331), Spitfire-Windsor-Poly and A series engines pre-62 shere the same bell housing bolt pattern.

What is the depth of the bell in the pic?

I'll measure it tomorrow for ya!

Bob

Measures 8-1/2"

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Hmm... my Savoy bell looks nothing like that. Guess mine is L6 only. Still available to anybody that will come get it if they take the trans and starter with them. and I guess the flywheel/clutch can go with, I'm using a truck bell/starter and the flywheel/clutch that matches them (if a 48 assembly will fit a 56 block).

I'll measure it tomorrow for ya!

Bob

Measures 8-1/2"

That is typical for the truck pieces.  Now, if a guy wanted...the dimensions stack up in such a way that the A-833 just barely works without any adapter so you'll need to make new bolt holes on/into the bell and deal with the registration.

Some flywheels are fat enough that you might pickup a ¼" and allow for a plate on the bell. There are vast differences in flywheels over the years-makes-models...

A-833 input shaft oal=8.625,

face of trans to end of splines = 6.125, 

back of the EarlyHemi block to face of oem flywheel = 2.125 

The design of the clutch disc hub will determine % of spline engagement.